Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Post beside myself; need treatment (uk)

My daughter started her new school today, and already I've had a phone call this morning regarding an anxiety attack in class. I had already informed the school of her emet, but this has only been diagnosed by the doctor last week. how are the school supposed to treat an attack, and besides a four year wait for camhs referral, what can I do now to help her. Trying to remain sane...but it's tough. (UK)

Default Re: beside myself; need treatment (uk)

I posted something on the introduction thread, but I think that it's important that she learns how to manage her anxiety attacks. It would help a lot if you educate yourself. I really like the Anxiety and Phobia Workbook which my mum bought for me, it's teaching me a lot about my own ways of thinking and how to manage how I think. I'm also on medication, but I don't think that should be an option for her at this point, in my own opinion. Of course, that's your choice, but I'd go with other kinds of treatment first before considering medication.

What I posted on the other thread was about managing her anxiety attacks. My therapist taught me about deep breathing, and I have an app on my android phone called "Relax Lite" which goes through deep breathing, I'm sure there are some on the iphone as well, and even just on a computer. Google around. Also, rationalisation was something that clicked with me, asking myself "what's the worst that can happen?!"

I think that Sage might have some more advice for you, maybe some more sound or concise information.

I think it's so lovely that you're wanting to help your daughter so much. I hope you can find some ways to help her and you to cope.
    Come visit my history blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Default Re: beside myself; need treatment (uk)

hi dippylippy
    my phobia started when i was around 11-12, although i didnt have anxiety attacks. have you took your daughter to the doctors about this? i have been through 2 courses of cbt through the nhs. even if the doctor doesnt suggest cbt, they should be able to refer her for some other therapy to help. x