Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Vomit in Schools

So I just went for a meeting with the principal of a local school regarding my student teaching placement for my degree.

The first thing he says to me when he steps out of his office is "I will be right with you, Hayley. I just have to go clean up some vomit."

I thought *great*, only just set foot in the door and already I have to have an experience with vomit.

He stepped into a door right behind me which was the first aid room, and walks out with two buckets. Obviously full of sick. Nice. (Note sarcasm).

I then said to him "so does this happen a lot around here?" And he said that it happens fairly regularly both in the first aid room, and sometimes in the classroom.

Not looking forward to this part of my future job!

Default Re: Vomit in Schools

I was a social work intern in a school for a year. Didn't see v* once! I know kids v* cause the kids would tell me, but I never encountered it first hand. (Didn't catch any v* illnesses either -- just every head cold that went around)
    "I'm not supposed to be like this, but it's okay" -- The Wrong Child, R.E.M.

That's good! Well I am not worried about catching it. I never catch anything, and even if I do, I don't care. I just hate being around other people vomiting as I hate how it looks, sounds, and smells. So I am more concerned that a child will vomit in my classroom! I might make a classroom rule that says "If you feel like you want to vomit, go quickly to the first aid room straight away." LOL.

You could definitely do that. Just say that if someone feels ill to please tell you right away, and they will be sent to the nurse asap. And that you don't care if they interrupt your lesson.
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by spilled_milk View Post
    You could definitely do that. Just say that if someone feels ill to please tell you right away, and they will be sent to the nurse asap. And that you don't care if they interrupt your lesson.
    I agree! Good luck!

In school, I had many teachers on the first day of class say that if you're going to be ill and lose something one way or another, to please get out and take care of yourself and don't worry about etiquette or the attendance policy.

At my junior high, students who left class to vomit had to get a pass from the nurse to get back to class.

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My sister is a teacher and when kids complain about feeling ill she sends them right to the nurse. She teaches HS though. She doesn't have a blanket rule about leaving class though, and tries to act cool about it because she thinks if the kids knew she was freaked about kids vomiting in class, they'd fake it all the time to get out of class, which is probably true. Something to think about depending on the age you teach.
    "I'm not supposed to be like this, but it's okay" -- The Wrong Child, R.E.M.

That is a really good point. I would be teaching anywhere from age 5 to 12. I am not sure yet, but I'm sure the older kids might especially pick up on it if they knew I was nervous.

I'm just about to start my teaching degree and am being placed in a school very soon! I understand totally... I think having a rule is a good idea, but so many kids (in my experience anyway) say they have a stomachache just to get out of class. I think it's all about getting to know the kids as quickly as possible so you know who means it and who's faking. I am going to be teaching around age 4-7 though, not older ones so the rules and behavior may be a bit different. Hopefully the teaching assistants will take care of that kinda thing though! Good luck xxx Thinking of you.
    'The darkest hour is just before the dawn'