Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Husband Away & Kids

I just stumbled on this site tonight and it is SO me!!!! Never knew there was a name for my fear of the 'v' word. Maybe some one can give me some pointers on this. Luckily my husband only travels for work a few times a year. I have a 9, 6 and two year old. I'm all ready freaking out about my husbands trip in February...hello..it's 5 months from now! My ONLY fear is the kids getting sick or me getting sick. I always feel if one gets it by the weeks end we'd all have it. That did happen this past February. We survived....but I could still tell you the dates it happened. I can't seem to move on. My husband left yesterday for a 3 day trip. My youngest was sick all day two days before he left. I've been watching the other two like a hawk...seeing what they're eating, if thery're eating......I don't want them turning into a worry wart like me. I can't control it...even when I tell myself it's not death...life will go on. The thing is I don't fear death....I fear the aweful, aweful feeling you have before you get sick. Then the noise/smell/sight put me WAY over the top. I'm also one that will put a pot over the cat 'v' for my hisband when he gets home. I'm doing my best to work on that one...I have succeeded in cleaning it a few times...have to be in the right mind set. Sorry to ramble, for those who have children how do you handle a sick child alone???? I feel like I'm scarring my kids when it comes to this.

Default Re: Husband Away & Kids

welcome to the forum.......glad you found us. i can't help much with the kid thing since i never had any.....but there are plenty of moms on here and i'm sure some will give you some advice on they handle things.

i totally get the whole worrying already for something that wont happen for several months. i know that reading posts here have really lowered my emet feelings.....others say it makes their's worse....so to each his own.

hope you find some comfort in knowing you are not alone in this stupid phobia.........again...welcome
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hi , you are not rambling at all and i can relate totally with how you feel , i have 4 children but all grown up really as the youngest is 13 . She was ill 3 x on Tuesday night so i have been and still am neurotic until a few days has passed to b sure i won't catch it . I have eaten but not much and my advice is bleach the areas involved and wash your hands really well , the chances are its a bug like rotavirus that you are probably immune to being an adult . Its hard when your husband is away but if the others were going to catch it the chances are they would have by now . Its a horrible irrational phobia but try and remember it is yuk at the time but soon over !! I mainly worry more at the thought of not knowing if i'm going to catch it , fearing the fear i suppose . Take care , you are not alone x

Thank you, thank you for your kind words. It's nice to know I'm not the only one with these battles. I have a 48hr rule. I feel if no one else has gotten it in 48hrs that is half the battle. 'Swimmer' I love the thought that we may be immune to some things because we're older Also, I like the 'yuk' word. I use the words 'spit up'.......can't use the 'v', 'p' or TU' words. I know irrational but it's one small way I can deal a tiny bit better with my own kids. I really hope i can fine some small ways to make this thought process better becaus eit truly interfers with my life all the time....I'm all ready dreading winter. Thank you again!

I know EXACTLY how you feel! I have 2 kids 3yrs and 6 months. After, going through the SV the first time when my first was 2 yrs. I feel like my emet has gotten out of control! I am on constant guard all the time. If he cries at night I immediatley think he is sick! I've stopped taking him to a lot of places and constantly washing and sanitizing his hands. Now, I'm on full anxiety because he starts preschool next week. He is a finger sucker and I'm really trying to break him of that. I hate always having this pit in my stomach. I feel like my kids are loaded guns that can go off at any time. I hate feeling like this and not enjoying my babies like I should. I feel like an awful mother worrying about something that may or may not happen. I'm going to a psychiatrist right now, but so far no help. It has been only a few sessions, but I'm talking about other issues too, I just wish she would focus on this so I can get on with my life. Anyways, sorry for my ramble. Just want you to know you are totally not alone. It is nice to know that there are other mothers who are scared of the same thing you are! Hope everyone stays healthy! Won't you find relief when that norovirus vaccine finally is available? I will crack open some champagne!!

its very comon way now a days, that father away from kids, in many countries its happen specially in europeon countries