Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default 100% not Eme. related (but i need help)

before any admins remove this just let me say that im only posting this just for help!

i used to be a bad long haired punk kid. always being a ass around the house, making messes, and causing problems. I recently took a look at how i was acting and how it was affecting the family, i wanted to change it.

So (this my freshman year of High School) i decided to change it all. i stopped listening to bad Metal music, cut my hair, joined JROTC, and changed into a better attitude.

but my family still treats me like the same old punk kid. they dont trust me on anything i say. like today my school had a glitch in the system that said ive been absent for 10 or more days. MY MOM WAS MAD, she though that i was skipping school (and i wouldn't that she thinks i was sneeking out of school to do drugs, because thats all she thinks emetophobia is, she thinks ive gone crazy on drugs).

is there anyway i can show them that ive completely 180ed my whole life?

Default Re: 100% not Eme. related (but i need help)

I had the same issues with my parents. I was terrible, doing drugs and going out drinking and not coming home and landing in the hospital. In my freshman year of college, they decided not to let me come home anymore, and I decided that I wanted to change myself. I stopped doing drugs, drinking, and tried to be responsible. Honestly, it took time for them to start trusting me again. A lot of time. I just had to keep at it, and keep showing them that I really had changed and really was responsible. Now, 3 years later, I'd say we have a good relationship.

I know that's probably not the advice you want, lol, but it really does take a while to build up trust and there aren't really any methods or tricks that you can use to speed it up. If you want, you could talk to them about how you are making an effort, and you hope they will begin to trust you again soon.

Good luck!!!
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

How long's it been since you turned over this new leaf? I think if your folks are used to you being a bit of a nightmare kid, it'll take them a while to trust that this is the new you. It's probably really frustrating for you that they're still treating you like the 'old' you but rise above it, earning respect and trust takes a while so keep plugging away at the changes you want to make, they'll soon realise that the new you is here to stay!

I agree with the others - it does take a bit of time! Have your school reassured your mum that it was a glitch in the system? Have you sat down with your parents and discussed the fact that you have changed, and wish to be better-behaved and more considerate? I think it is such a mature and nice thing that, as you say, you looked at your behaviour and how it hurt other people, and wanted to change. I think if you say that to them, they'll be very proud.

There's nothing necessarily wrong with metal music in itself though! It's all about how you behave towards yourself, others and your surroundings, not your tastes in popular culture As long as you don't play it too loud I suppose

Don't give up on your self-improvement. I think it is thoroughly admirable, and I believe your family will recognise it in time!

Unfortunately these things take time. Communication really is the key here, as well as using your actions to show that you have changed and turned over a new leaf.

Sit down, and have a solid talk to your parents and those who are still looking down on you. Explain to them wholeheartedly you realise it's time to change. Show them through your actions and day to day life you are indeed serious about it. Respect and trust has to be earned back, and that will take some time but it's not impossible.