Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

Default Being around sick family and/or friends.

Hello, my name is Liz and I'm new to this website. The reason why I'm here is because, like many other people on this site, I'm an emetophobic. For the past 7 years I have been diagnosed with emetophobia and have had a rough time with vomiting and others who are sick around me.
    The reason why I'm writing this is because I'm in a panicky situation. Only yesterday my nephew has gotten sick. I'm not sure whether it's a bug or something else, and I'm not sure whether it's contagious or not. Since then I've been panicking and making myself ill. I've been nauseous ever since. I wish I could help him out and be there for him, however, when I hear him retch or bring everything back up, I tend to run back to my bedroom and lock myself in. Could someone perhaps give me some advice on what I should do, because if this sickness will go on for 3-5 days, I don't know if I'll be able to take it mentally or physically. Thanks in advance.

Best regards, Liz.

Default Re: Being around sick family and/or friends.

Hi Liz
    Must be horrible for you but try and remember if you haven;t actually been in really close contact and have been washing your hands well you should not catch it even if it is contagious . Bleach the areas involved like switches and taps and bannisters etc . Try and push the fear away don't give it room to grow . You will be fine ,u are nauseous because you are anxious that is all so try and go out for a bit and do something positive ! Eayt to say i know but you are better than this phobia and can cope . x