Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default I'm a mess and I know it.

I’m unsure when this problem of mine began. My earliest memory is when I was in elementary school, and a kid in the classroom I had to go to next had gotten ill, and they didn’t clean it up until after I arrived. I was petrified, nervous, and disgusted but I didn’t want to show it, so I pretended like nothing was wrong. My next memory was in middle school. In 7th and 8th grade we were kids. We didn’t know what to do when we were about to be sick, or our parents just thought us telling them we didn’t feel good was a way to stay home from school. I remember a lot of kids getting sick in the middle of class. I’d come home that day from school and cry to my mom. I would find any way possible to skip the next day of school, in fear that that person who had gotten sick would be there the next day. I did anything I could to stay away from that person so I wouldn’t catch whatever they had that made them sick. Then in high school, any day I didn’t witness someone getting sick would be considered a very good day.
    In these years of my life, I always knew I had a problem/fear of this. But I never thought it would be as extreme as it is now. As I think back about it, I remember getting sick, and then days, weeks, and months later I would refuse to wear any clothes that I wore the day that it happened. I’d refuse to ever eat the same foods, or do the same things that I did on that day.
    Now I am in college, and I’m living away from home. I’m a junior. And this condition is worse than I ever thought was possible. This past year, I had gotten sick for the first time since around 2002. Ever since then, I’ve been having non-stop anxiety attacks in fear that it will happen again. I’ve been prescribed Xanax to calm my nerves a little bit, but it only helps so much. I wake up every day with a lump in my throat. Every time I get a stomach ache, the automatic thought of getting sick comes to mind. I also suffer from a form of acid reflex called Barretts Esophagus. It causes pain in my upper stomach, which makes me feel sick to my stomach and causes nausea and anxiety. I know I need help for this, and I know there is no cure, and at this point in my life, it is starting to stop me from doing things that I enjoy doing. It is preventing me from having fun in college, because all I do is worry.
    I understand that many, if not all of you suffer from this same phobia, and I was just wondering if there is ANYTHING that anyone does to slow down the anxiety and worry that I get every day of my life. I would appreciate any responses. Thank you.

Default Re: I'm a mess and I know it.

welcome to the forum......your story sounds alot like mine. many years ago the dr. gave me valium for my nervousness.....of course, he ran plenty of tests, etc to see if there was anything wrong and came back with nothing. finally, in my 30's i was prescribed prozac.......it has literally been a life saver for me. i still get emet thoughts.......but not nearly as much ......and i'm not obsessed with those thoughts like i was for years.

one of the most important things you can do.......is to push yourself through those thoughts.......try not to change your plans or miss school......remind yourself that these feelings happen alot and you are just fine after you calm down. find some good distractions to push the emet out of your brain so you can get on with your life.

seems someone is always on this forum if you're having a rough time. i find that reading and responding to people helps me calm myself also......

good luck and keep on pushing
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Default Re: I'm a mess and I know it.

thank you for such a great and use full answer, keep it up