Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thumbs down Worried about flying

I'm going to Birmingham (from Glasgow) with my mum and my auntie next Wednesday for a funeral and I'm really scared I or someone else will get air sick. To be honest I'm more scared about it happening to someone else because at least if it's me I can prepare myself. I've been on a plane once before but I was 4 so I can't even remember it. I don't usually get travel sick or anything but I'm so scared that I will now. It will only take about an hour to get there, we were going to go on a coach but that would have taken 7 hours so I refused to go.
    Also for a while I've been waking up at night feeling really ill and panicking. I really don't want it to happen in Birmingham but I'm not really surre why I'm so scared. Obviously it's not a nice feeling but I'll be sharing a room with my mum so she'll be there to help if anything happens.
    I've never met most of my family down there so I really hope this stupid phobia doesn't ruin the whole thing.
    Be extraordinary!

Default Re: Worried about flying

Hey Sweet- I can totally understand your fears over flying! I can assure you you'll be fine if you don't usually get travel *s anyway! If it's only an hour flight it won't feel like long as well, i've been on 6 flights in my lifetime around 2 1/2-3 hours each && on all of them i've been absolutely fine Im glad to hear you'll be sharing a room with your mum- that'll help with this anxiety of being away from home! *massive hugs*

E x
    2010 && 2011 the years I met Gok Wan
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Helena Bonham Carter <3

Lets slap Emet in the face. . .

Follow My Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I really think you'll be absolutely fine. Air travel is smooth and does not cause motion s*ness usually. So I don't think anyone on the flight will be ill, especially with it being a short, domestic flight. You could perhaps take an mp3 player on board or something to take your mind off flying? The flight will be over before you know it. You may be feeling extra stressed because flying is outside your usual activities, and perhaps a funeral is also not something you're used to. So feeling even a bit worried about new experiences can sometimes aggravate emetophobia and make the fear a bit worse. But I think once you've set off you will instantly feel less stressed about it all. xxx

I'm really starting to freak out about going now (the flight is tomorrow night) but it's not even the flight I'm scared of now. I keep waking up in the middle of the night feeling really ill. I always wake up around 3am and feel ill straight away, so it's not as if I'm lying awake and letting myself get anxious or anything. I'm so scared that'll happen when I'm away becasue I'm away from my comfort zone. I'm terrified I'll feel ill when I'm out during the day (like I often do at home) and have a panic attack which will ruin it for my mum and my auntie. Does anyone know any ways I can calm myself in the night or make myself feel less ill?
    Be extraordinary!

I think you will find that once you set off and there is no turning back you will be fine. That's what happens to me. The over thinking and worrying before the event is always worse. There is no reason why you would be ill away from home.