Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default New here emetophobic

Hi everyone! Firstly, I wanted to say hello to everyone! I too, like many or all of you, am an emetophobic. I'll give a little background of mine:

I am so scared everywhere I go that someone around me is going to throw up. I go out to the mall or on the transit system or to restaurants, clubs/bars, and I am always watching people around me to see if they look okay.
    I won't go near someone if I know they are sick or recently have been.. Or someone that they have recently been around.
    In the theatre I always try to sit at the top (so no one behind me can throw up on me!).. I try and avoid walking downtown at all costs so I don't see someone throwing up, or see V* anywhere around me. I watch everywhere I walk so I don't walk in it either. I also don't like to hangout with drunk people in case!!! I dont know what to do any more.. It has begun to get way out of hand I avoid going and doing things to avoid it.

Recently, I was out with some friends and one of them got really drunk and (this is why I don't drink) got sick in another friends house and I left the house as soon as he said he felt sick. Then we drove him home and right when we got there, of course, he v*outside the car.. and me sitting in the backsteat with my heads plugged and my eyes closed so I don't hear or see him v*! Every time I go to the doctor or clinic (or hospital as I was volunteering there - which scared me every time) once I come home I will wash the clothes I wore and won't wear it until it has been washed..
    And also, every where I go I say to myself "I bet someone had thrown up here." on buses, schools, sidewalks, restaurants, etc.

This phobia really sucks. I just made myself an appointment with my doctor to see if there is anything we can do!

I am so glad to see that it isn't just me...

Default Re: New here emetophobic

I can so empathise with all the things you are saying. I think making a doctor's appointment is a really important step. There are things that can be done to help, and it is possible to be cured. It may take a while, but I think improvements can often appear quite rapidly.

I would say that avoiding situations does 'feed' the phobia; the more avoidant you become, the more scared you will be of things. It would be good to push your boundaries a bit, perhaps by the thing you feel least scared of - maybe walking in the town centre because you can leave any time you want - and then you will realise that nothing bad happened, and then that will be positive reinforcement for you, if you see what I mean.

Sorry this is a bit rambling, but welcome to the forum

Quote Originally Posted by cinque View Post
    I can so empathise with all the things you are saying. I think making a doctor's appointment is a really important step. There are things that can be done to help, and it is possible to be cured. It may take a while, but I think improvements can often appear quite rapidly.

I would say that avoiding situations does 'feed' the phobia; the more avoidant you become, the more scared you will be of things. It would be good to push your boundaries a bit, perhaps by the thing you feel least scared of - maybe walking in the town centre because you can leave any time you want - and then you will realise that nothing bad happened, and then that will be positive reinforcement for you, if you see what I mean.

Sorry this is a bit rambling, but welcome to the forum
    Yeah I know what you mean! I do go out and do these things but it still scares the crap outta me! lol! It's such a scary feeling when I see someone V* or see it around I just want to run the other way! I surely hope this doctor appointment will help and hopefully find some ways with my do on how to go about trying to treat it.
    I am kind of scared to get a job (I am 19, and haven't been working since Jan) because people get sick in these places - I know that probably sounds like a bit too much but there's a reason for that: Just after I started my previous job, it was my SECOND shift or possibly even my first, some lady, her kids, and her friend come shopping in the clothing store looking around for clothes and finally decided on what to buy. So, about 20 mins later they are at the cash register about to pay and the I guess the ladies friend started to feel sick so she covered her mouth and ran out of the store and got sick all outside the store. Then her friend (the non-sick lady) comes rushing back into the store, comes to me and is like panicking and says "do you have tissue or something my friend is very sick outside" and I was like "let me see. just hold on." so I got the manager to come help as well and there it goes... my nerves were shot. I was shaking and panicking and on the verge of freaking out..
    I was ready to quit on the spot. Then after they left, the manager said to us/the staff, "you know, if she got sick in the store, or in the bathroom, one of you would be cleaning it up"... I was thinking this lady must be crazy if she would send ME to clean it up. If they told me to clean it up I would have quit on the spot! So that made my phobia even worst within the past while as that has never happened to me at a job before so now I am scared to get a job because of that experience. This phobia sucks. It is definitely taking over my life right now.

By the way sorry that reply was so long!