Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: anyone...

Hybrid View

Is anyone more scared of others v*ing than themselves? Doesn't seem to be many of you? [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

I'd love to hear from you if you feel the same, i'm desperate to meet you! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

My MSN address is on my profile, or just post a reply here [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

Jackie xx

I used to be so terrified of others throwing up that I would actually wish and pray that i would get sick instead of them. Can you believe that? I would hope it was me not them cos I could control me! But as time went on it switched and now I fear both.

Xxxxxx
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by hippychick

I used to be so terrified of others throwing up that I would actually wish and pray that i would get sick instead of them. Can you believe that? I would hope it was me not them cos I could control me! But as time went on it switched and now I fear both.

Xxxxxx

I can beleive that very well, I'm still worried about myself being sick, but I dont take many precautions (just common sence) etc etc. But anyone else? Scares the life out of me!!

If I ever were to v I'd hate it thought, but no where near as much as someone else.. aahh!!

Jackie, I am the same way, I totally fear others vomiting more so than myself. I would rather die than hear someone else do it. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely hate doing it myself, but I am pretty good at controlling whether I do it or not, and you never know when someone else is going to do it. You cannot be prepared, you know,plug your ears, close your eyes, RUN AWAY!!! It's mostly the sound that does it for me, can't stand it, very afraid of it. I get so nervous around people who say they don't feel very well, and I do try to avoid drunk people too. I don't do as many things that some people on here do, like avoiding germs at all costs, but I am careful to wash my hands often and I do love going out to restaruants, but there are certain things I won't eat. I am just really really scared of othere vomiting.
    <font color=MAGENTA>-Rachel</font>
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rachel - DITTO.

I spoke to someone once who got quite angry with me.. he had emetophobia but it was of himself V*ing. He couldn't understand why I was afraid of others and thought it was rather pointless and stupid, and no-where near as bad as his fear. But how can something so unpredictable be so harmless?

I don't think either form of emetophobia is worse or better, they are both horrible horrible things! [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]

I love going to nightclubs but I just can't because theres always someone v*ing somewhere. Once I was just going out shopping, pretty harmless but no, you can't go anywhere without a possibility of someone else doing it, oh its so horrible..

damn u emetophobia, damn u!!

Peace&amp;Love 2 u xx

When my phobia was at its worst, i was absolutely terrified of others, and not of myself at all (although I believe it somehow relates, at a subconscious level, to believing if I see someone sick I will be sick myself). Nevertheless, if I felt sick and I was at home I was ok with it....didn't watch what I ate or anything...but if someone else said "I don't feel so good"...I'd be running down the street!

The good news is that it's a bit easier to treat the fear of others than the fear of self...I was completely cured with just a year's work in therapy, once I found the right therapist and treatment program. That was over 2 years ago now - woo hoo!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Quote Originally Posted by sage

When my phobia was at its worst, i was absolutely terrified of others, and not of myself at all (although I believe it somehow relates, at a subconscious level, to believing if I see someone sick I will be sick myself). Nevertheless, if I felt sick and I was at home I was ok with it....didn't watch what I ate or anything...but if someone else said "I don't feel so good"...I'd be running down the street!

The good news is that it's a bit easier to treat the fear of others than the fear of self...I was completely cured with just a year's work in therapy, once I found the right therapist and treatment program. That was over 2 years ago now - woo hoo!

Completely cured?!! damn, i wish i was you!! My therapist says that its avoiding donig things and isolating myself which makes my phobia, is this right? it just seems abit off to me?
    A major function of sadness is to help people become more aware of what they value and hence conserve it

While I am sometimes afraid of doing it myself (like now), I am much more terrified of others doing it. I can't be near them at all, even if I know it is something that I can't catch off of them. I can't look or listen to someone else doing it, at least not in real life. Movies don't seem to bother me.
    It\'s all right to have butterflies in your stomach. Just get them to fly in formation.

Quote Originally Posted by sage

Oh gosh thats good to know, maybe I should get back into therapy *hmmm*

Thanks for all your responses its nice to know that there are some people out there who fear others more than themselves. That worried me a bit at first because I spoke to someone once who was appalled (sp?) that I feared others and he said it was pointless and pathetic and he couldn't see how that was scary... (he feared himself V*ing you see)

I wish it wasn't!!Edited by: emetojackie
    <a href=\"
    target=\"_blank\">

</a>

I fear others more than myself too. I can't watch it in movies or anything. Even the exposure therapy pictures freak me out. (I've only been able to do the first two: egg and pumpkin) So there are people like you here, and it's the same fear response, we're not ridiculous or pointless. It's for real!
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

I'm far, far too scared to look at those exposure pics, aaahhh - maybe i'll have a go now..
    <a href=\"
    target=\"_blank\">

</a>

Good luck.... the descriptions got me in a panic and I haven't been back. Now that I'm in therapy I wonder if I could get further. I should make that my goal for the year, to look at ALL the pictures.[img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

Quote Originally Posted by 2jo2
    Good luck.... the descriptions got me in a panic and I haven't been back. Now that I'm in therapy I wonder if I could get further. I should make that my goal for the year, to look at ALL the pictures.[img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]

I never did look, far.. far too scary!

One day we'll be able to look at them and not be worried at all, aahh that will be the day..
    <a href=\"
    target=\"_blank\">

</a>

I am now more afraid of others vomiting. Before I read the book, "The Power of Your Subconcious Mind", I for some reason stopped worrying about myself vomiting as much; but as Sage was saying, it may be some subconscious fear of myself vomiting.

As of right now, I wouldn't give a ratt's naval if I puked!!! I am so tired of worrying about it....I just want to get "it" over with!!!!!! (hell, I may just go downstairs and give my daughter that just puked a big fat kiss!!!!!!)

But when someone else is sick...I am so outa there!!! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img] Charlotte
    Spring is here!

As for your therapist's words, it is indeed avoidance of the trigger that makes a fear into a phobia, and makes a phobia worse. Of course this is easy for him to say! The force of avoidance is so strong because the brain is saying "hey it feels SOOOO good avoid this, rather than be near it". So you have to approach it little by little...to the point where your anxiety only rises to like a 1 or 2 out of 10...any more than that and it's counter-productive.

Your therapist should be able to help you gradually expose yourself to the stimulus HONESTLY in a way that is not more than mildly arousing...never downright frightening. With professional help, this phobia is highly treatable.

Good luck!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.