Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Starting therapy again,

Hi all,

This is my first post. As a background, I've had emetophobia (full-with panic attacks related to n* and v* since I was about 12. Prior to that, I feared n* and v*, but I don't think I was phobic. Now, I'm 22.

I completed a course of exposure therapy (went up to everything but actually v* myself), and it was very helpful-panic attacks diminishes, thought about v* and n* less frequently, and was more able to deal with n* without panicking.

However, I had a sv* in May, and have had a full return of symptoms. So I am starting treatment again, at a different place. I'd be happy to go into details, and differences in treatment/theory between the two places, with anyone interested - but will not include that here.

Basically, I am very scared and fear that I won't be able to overcome it again. Part of the fear is also probably because engaging in therapy for it is like accepting the fact that I may v* at some point.

I'm hoping for support from others, whether or not you have gone through any type of therapy for it.

I do have a boyfriend who is very supportive, but it is hard to connect regarding the phobia. It would be nice to have a network of people going through similar experiences.

If I used words that shouldn't be used, or said something fear-inducing, please let me know so that I won't do it again. And I apologize!

Thank you!

Default Re: Starting therapy again,

I posted this in the wrong section, sorry-I'm going to re-post it in the treatment section.