Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Anyone??

Default Anyone??

I wanted to share my story with everyone...

I
    have always been afraid of throwing up since I was a little girl. But I don't remember obsessing over it like I do as an adult. Growing up I always let my fear of throwing up get the best of me. If someone said, oh i feel sick INSTANTLY i felt sick.. I would feel nauseated going into stores for the fear that I would get sick in the store. But really I think the worse of it came when I was 20 years old, and caught a HORRIBLE HORRIBLE stomach bug. Prior to that I had not thrown up since I was 11. This stomach bug woke me up at 5am, and I was gagging. For the rest of the day I was sick as a dog, and had to travel in a car with my family because we were moving from Florida to Oregon. And we were only in Texas!I
    I am 28 now, and have no thrown up since. I have even been sick as a dog with a flu bug, and been pregnant.
    What scares me the MOST is the unknown. I don't want to feel just fine before I go to sleep, and then be woken up all of a sudden to gagging, and having to run to the bathroom. I'd rather it happen while i'm wide awake so I can control it. Make sense?
    Having a child makes this fear even worse because your always afraid that your child is going to get sick & give it to you. Or vise versa
    Right now I feel panicked because a roommate came home today after being gone since Sunday night and told me he missed work yesterday because he was just throwing up all day. Instantly I wanted to cry... I am scared that my daughter will get it now, and me and my husband. I try and try to express how this makes me feel to my husband but he does not understand. And I know it frustrates him to hear any of it. He just says " don't freak out until it happens"... Yeeeeeeah.
    I hope I can find someone that understands. I really want to get help for this but I don't even know where to turn to.

Default Re: Anyone??

Welcome to IES
    I can greatly relate to your story in regards of being scared of vomiting since a small child. Either myself or others/seeing it/hearing it. I do get a little OCD when I know people are sick with a stomach bug around me as well..
    Anyway, it's a shame your husband doesn't understand your phobia, it's very real and you're not silly. Does your roommate understand your anxiety? If not, maybe voice our your concerns so he himself can keep hygienic and stop any bugs being spread (if any). You should make sure you wash your hands thoroughly, as stomach bugs are only spread through ingestion. I've worked in a paediatric ward with many children who come in with gastro, and I did not catch anything because of my sterile routine and washing of hands all the time.

As for your panic, I know it's easier than said, but really try to relax and deep breathe. Meditate, get out of the house and take a walk, etc. Just distract your body and mind for a bit, so it will become calmer and more logical as a result.