Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Exclamation PANIC! need advice

Hello,
    Im a 17 year old girl from England and have had this phobia for aslong as i know. Over the last few weeks it feels like it has got worse, every night i convinced myself I was going to be sick leaving me going on long walks to calm down, waking the whole house up and even considering commiting suicide. Everyone thinks im nuts, and no one understands how I feel and its drives me insane. I just want it to go away, I want to be normal.
    I am constantly analysing my food, spitting things out which "dont taste 100%", creeping around anyone who says they feel sick or have a stomach ache and most important wash my hands a ridiculous amounts a day.
    I came home from college today to find my little 2 year old sister had been vomiting all night and immedaitely i burst into tears convincing myself i may have it. I tried to move on and went out but came back this evening to find out she had started being sick again... I cant sleep and dont know what to do.
    I was being so close to her before she was sick, sharing this recorder with her i.e. swapping saliva.
    Please someone give me some advice

Default Re: PANIC! need advice

Been there. Wanting to be "normal" so bad you want to die. First, realize you're not nuts or crazy and there's so many people with the same problem. A lot of the time knowing your not alone makes it better, Then you have to realize the panic isn't going to hurt you - it's just gonna cause more panic. My biggest helper was reading books from Dr Claire Weekes (audio books availble too)
    Keep hopeful - it can get better

Hey There sweet Welcome to IES! Firstly I too am 17 && from England, always nice to have someone else of the same age to discuss things with so if you ever want a chat im always here, just PM me! Secondly I can totally understand where your coming from, I don't have a two year old sister, i've a 17 year old twin who regularly drinks etc... (i don't drink) so im always freaking out when she *v's even if she is just drunk! *massive cuddles*

How is your sister at the moment? Young children can often become unwell pretty easily from what i've heard as their immune systems aren't like what adults immune systems are like! It could easily have been something she has eaten also, do your parents know why she is unwell all of a sudden? When I hear my sister *v I cry, walk around the garden crying, rocking myself back and fourth nearly popping my eardrums out as Im squeezing my hands against my ears so hard! Is your sister *s a lot?

Sorry for all of these questions...

I agree with LeeME27... by panicking it'll not only make you feel worse but it will lead to more panic && then you get into that whole cycle of anxiety etc... I once read a quote "Anxiety is like a rocking chair; it gives you something to do but doesn't get you anywhere" now as much as I agree with this quote it's incredibly hard to go with especially if you suffer with acute anxiety like I do! Is there someone you could stay with tonight while your sister is unwell?

Always here!

E x
    2010 && 2011 the years I met Gok Wan
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Helena Bonham Carter <3

Lets slap Emet in the face. . .

Follow My Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hello! How are you doing now? Just also wanted to drop by to say I'm a 20 year old female from England, so please feel to message me if you ever need someone to talk to. xxx

Mmmm, its not great. This bug my little sister has, is most definitely a bug. Both my step dad and brother caught it. I have been an emotional wreck this week, one of the worst of my life. Not been to college, not sleeping, constantly crying and worrying. The last time someone was s* was tuesday eve, and the first was sunday eve... so I thought I may of got away with it, maybe Iu have, but im still terrified. I am constantly making myself feel ill, but I never know if its true or not. Like now I have a splitting headache, but unsure if its just stress/pms/bug? I just can't relax.

I can't tell you how amazing and how lovely it is to be able to talk to someone who can understand! People look at me like im nuts . Questioning why I'm always washing my hands.

Has anyone been to the DR's about Emet?

Billie xx

Hi I'm 27 and from London and have suffered for as long as I can remember. First Thing to remember in these situations is not to panic, easier said then done I know. Part of having emetophobia means that a part of our brain makes being s or others being s make us panic and want to run away from it, it's called fight or flight As long as you keep out of direct contact and wash your hands you will be fine. If you are really panicking go for a sleep over at a girlfriends house so you get a good nights sleep and explain what you are feeling to a close friend, they won't laugh at you or think you are weird. It's only a temporary bug and will be gone in a couple of days. Emet is anxiety and nothing a doctor can say or do will probably help. We need to retrain the brain to not see it as something to be scared of. It is something that happened to you a a young age that has brought it on and it is something you can control and get better, hypnotherapy is meant to be great but ask prices first as I found one for £175 an hour! Ouch! Get some Calms from boots that will help you keep relaxed and make you less panicky. I use these all the time. You just need to keep calm and remember you won't catch it. We have all been through similar and I am here for you if you need me. Just remember deep slow breaths.

xx