Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default O.T. Anyone had laser hair removal/waxing?

I bought a Brazilian laser hair removal package because it was a good price. I also want to get my full legs done but don't have the money to spend on that just yet. I would like to start waxing my legs until I can afford the laser. I was wondering if any fellow emets have done laser hair removal or waxing? I'm not worried about the pain, I'm worried about having a panic attack and having to quit in the middle of a session. Lately I've been having bad panic attacks where I feel like I can't swallow, nauseous and my chest gets tight. I read other peoples stories but wanted an emets point of view. I really want to prepare myself now for next swim suit season. Experiences, pain tolerances, advice?
    My Jacob makes life beautiful.

Default Re: O.T. Anyone had laser hair removal/waxing?

I've done both. I wax my legs with a wax that you don't have to heat and I just started laser for under my arms. I've gotten used to the wax but boy does the laser sting (I think because to me it's a sensitive spot). The best thing about the laser is it only takes them about 4 minutes and it's over with.

I swear by waxing. I've been having it done for about... 8 yearsish now... maybe a little less and I have HUGE patches on my legs that just don't grow hair anymore (I think it's given up :P) I'd love to try laser hair removal, but I can't afford it, not at the minute anyways. I do love waxing though, and it's not painful to me anymore, it was to begin with though, I'm not going to lie. I have a lady that does it whose rooms are lovely, she puts on soothing music and tries different aromatherapies on me, because she knows about my anxiety, it's really nice. If you get it done at a spa kind of place, they might do similar for you.
    Come visit my history blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks for the feedback. I've also heard of different waxing techniques, do you use hot wax kaydee and certain strips? I've read some good reviews about a salon here in town whom everyone recommends. I've also read to take some pain relief prior to going and not to do it before my period due to sensitivity.

I'm worried about waxing...down there. Has anyone done that? I want to try but I've heard horror stories about it!
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

Hot wax. It's great at a salon because they are trained to do it quickly which means less pain and a better job. I swear by it!

Spilled_milk, I've heard horror stories too, I'm too scared to try it for myself. I don't even know if I'd want to... *shudder*

If you wax your bikini line it will hurt a lot the first time but eventually you start to damage your nerve endings so it hurts less each time you do it. I dunno about you all, but I'm not super crazy about the idea of getting rid of the nerve endings around my bikini line area... Sorry if that's super tmi! LOL

I did do it, once. Never.again. Ouch. It was bleeding and bright red and swollen for at least 2 days.

Definitely take a couple of Advil an hour before and use a little Emla cream (numbing cream) if you think you want a little extra pain prevention. I would strongly recommend using the Emla on your bikini line and underarms, it hurts! You do get used to it over time and it does start to hurt less. For me, the fun sensitivity is actually increased so no problems there

Presonally I prefer hot wax (stripless wax) for the bikini/underarms because the wax is a bit warmer and is left on the skin to set up for a little longer. This allows your hair follicles to open a bit more so it is less painful. The regular warm wax with strips is fine for the legs as they don't hurt much at all (at least for me). I wish I could get laser hair removal, but the technician said my hair is too light and too fine and it wouldn't work.
    Disclaimer: Any nutritional or health related advice I give is well intentioned and intended for general educational purposes only that may or may not apply to your personal health situation. It does NOT in any way, shape or form constitute as medical or dietetic advice. I am not your nutritionist and you are not my patient. Please discuss anything you may learn from any of my health related posts with your doctor and nutritionist prior to making any related changes.

Love me or hate me I am who I am. It isn't going to change. Don't confuse a succinct response or commitment to accuracy as being cavalier or patronizing.

I go to a professional for waxing. Love it - never going back. I also take a Benadryl everytime - I started to avoid irritation I get, but it also helps keep me calm

I'm so scared of the pain the first few times I will go. Everyone seems to say the same thing, that it wont hurt the more it's done. Beauty is pain, I can't stand hair, I have to shave my legs daily...it's so gross.

Quote Originally Posted by alisha27 View Post
    I'm so scared of the pain the first few times I will go. Everyone seems to say the same thing, that it wont hurt the more it's done. Beauty is pain, I can't stand hair, I have to shave my legs daily...it's so gross.
    You're absolutely right, one must suffer to be beautiful and pain is beauty. Most things that help someone look better do involve some type of pain to varying degrees. But seriously use the Emla cream! They should offer it to you anyway but it makes such a massive difference. I have a pretty high pain tolerance and without it I'm almost crying in the chair when I get my lips done. With the Emla it doesn't hurt at all. Put it over the whole area about 20-30 minutes before and then touch up 5 minutes before, the difference is night and day.
    Disclaimer: Any nutritional or health related advice I give is well intentioned and intended for general educational purposes only that may or may not apply to your personal health situation. It does NOT in any way, shape or form constitute as medical or dietetic advice. I am not your nutritionist and you are not my patient. Please discuss anything you may learn from any of my health related posts with your doctor and nutritionist prior to making any related changes.

Love me or hate me I am who I am. It isn't going to change. Don't confuse a succinct response or commitment to accuracy as being cavalier or patronizing.

Not to be the sour-faced feminist here, but doesn't anyone else see the problem with the fact that only women have to beautiful and only women have to suffer for it? When was the last time you heard men sitting around talking about how to cope with the pain of ripping out most of the pubic hair or how to walk in heels? Just pointing that out...

Quote Originally Posted by person54321 View Post
    Not to be the sour-faced feminist here, but doesn't anyone else see the problem with the fact that only women have to beautiful and only women have to suffer for it? When was the last time you heard men sitting around talking about how to cope with the pain of ripping out most of the pubic hair or how to walk in heels? Just pointing that out...
    Philosophically disagreeing with it on a feminist level doesn't make it any less true though. Anything that will make one look better (whether it be hair removal, heels, working out or other procedures) will cause some form of pain. Men don't necessarily sit around talking about it the way we do but many men absolutely get waxed or have laser hair removal or a multitude of other procedures. It isn't only confined to women.

Of course no one is forced to do anything against their will. If they want to be furry, flabby or waddling in flip flops it is absolutely their choice and right to do so, just as it is to get waxed/lasered, go to the gym, wear flattering shoes or anything else. Just saying.

Yeah there's a reason that more than 90% of plastic surgery is performed on women and around 90% of eating disorders occur in women. Very very very few men get waxed or have laser hair removal and it's certainly optional for them whereas women who opt not to remove most of their body hair are considered disgusting and unhygienic. The average woman spends 2 getting ready (working on appearance) in the morning, the average guy spends around 30 minutes. No politician has ever had his ideas criticized because he's too ugly but women are considered less qualified if they aren't attractive.

Quote Originally Posted by person54321 View Post
    Yeah there's a reason that more than 90% of plastic surgery is performed on women and around 90% of eating disorders occur in women. Very very very few men get waxed or have laser hair removal and it's certainly optional for them whereas women who opt not to remove most of their body hair are considered disgusting and unhygienic. The average woman spends 2 getting ready (working on appearance) in the morning, the average guy spends around 30 minutes. No politician has ever had his ideas criticized because he's too ugly but women are considered less qualified if they aren't attractive.
    MANY men get waxed or lasered among other procedures, they just don't necessarily talk about it the way we do. Men usually don't want to be thinner, they want to be bigger and more muscular, which is why 90%+ of muscle dysmorphia patients are male. Manscaping is now so mainstream that large man day spas are popping up in most major cities. Yes, men also like to watch hockey and drink beer while they are in for their monthly pedicure, facial and waxing appointment. A hairy back is just as embarrassing for guys as a 70's style bikini line is for us. It just isn't attractive or optional on either of the sexes to be furry. Looking like a slacker procrastinating on his or her maintenance isn't going to get anyone a job, date or a better interest rate.

There are tons of studies out there demonstrating that better looking people (man or woman) rise up to higher career positions, more qualified, make more money, and overall have an easier life than their average looking counterparts. Looking your best is very important for both sexes. But again, it is entirely YOUR choice whether or not YOU want to conform to female image standards that YOU perceive to be inequitable or unfeminist. Just don't hate on those of us who do choose to wax or wear heels etc because you choose to go "au naturale" and wear Birkenstocks based on principle.

Barbie, I have a personal question for you and I ask because I am dealing with this issue. I am about to turn 30 in a couple months and I'm freaking out about aging. I am starting to see age when I look into my eyes. I don't know what it is but I'm so terrified of aging (getting wrinkles) and I don't know how to handle it. People tell me you get over it and reach a point where you grow up and see the inner beauty rather then outer. Do you have a similar fear? I only ask because I know you have done plastic surgeries and have bdd. I think I suffer too, I let my day get ruined if I don't like what I see in the mirror. I've canceled trips, dates, or just refuse to leave my house some times. I know I could do the laser and get other stuff done to improve my looks but I will never be happy. I was just wondering how you plan on dealing with the age process and are you going to continue to do the surgeries and injections or accept it?

Barbie, I have a personal question for you and I ask because I am dealing with this issue. I am about to turn 30 in a couple months and I'm freaking out about aging. I am starting to see age when I look into my eyes. I don't know what it is but I'm so terrified of aging (getting wrinkles) and I don't know how to handle it. People tell me you get over it and reach a point where you grow up and see the inner beauty rather then outer. Do you have a similar fear? I only ask because I know you have done plastic surgeries and have bdd. I think I suffer too, I let my day get ruined if I don't like what I see in the mirror. I've canceled trips, dates, or just refuse to leave my house some times. I know I could do the laser and get other stuff done to improve my looks but I will never be happy. I was just wondering how you plan on dealing with the age process and are you going to continue to do the surgeries and injections or accept it?
    Alisha I am so freaked out about aging, you are totally not the only one. Everyone thinks I'm crazy with all the preventative aging things I do (I am 28), I get preventative Botox, use Retin-A, use high potency skincare products, SPF 60, get regular microdermabrasion and low level laser therapy and just had a medical glycolic peel last week. I don't think I am dealing with it well at all, just trying to do absolutely everything I can to look as young as possible for as long as possible. I will absolutely continue to fight like hell against it, whether some feel it is futile or not. I will have lifting procedures, volume restoration procedures, skin procedures and injectables (and whatever else becomes available in the future) to try to counteract the effects of time.

I alternate with mirrors, sometimes I get "stuck" in them for hours at a time trying to fix everything that is wrong with my face. Other times I avoid them because it just feels too hopeless and only use a small compact mirror to get ready when I absolutely have to leave the house so I can only see one ugly piece at a time. Other than going to work, I try to go out when it is dark is possible or at least during off peak times to try to prevent people from seeing me as much as possible.

I know what you mean about the mirrors, I avoid the ones that magnify my face since it shows every little detail. I am also particular about the lighting, I hate my bathroom light (fluorescent) and prefer to do my makeup in my bedroom which has more natural light. I know what we go through with our bdd may seem ridiculous to others just as emetophobia seems crazy to those who don't suffer. It really sucks to have to deal with emetophobia, gad, ibs, bdd and probably more acronyms that I can't think of right now. Life is a mess!

I'd use a quote but my phone won't let me. I wonder if that study that says attractive people are more likely to succeed takes into consideration those people who are just naturally unattractive. I dont think im pretty at all, im overweight, i've tried everything short of surgery to try and "fix" it, but nothing works. Am i destined to be unsuccessful? Im not saying this because im trying to argue or anything im just interested in your opinions... I've now made the decision to work on being happy with myself the way i am rather than trying to change who i am to be happy, and i believe ill be succeszful as long as i work hard for it, i just thought it was an interesting thought.

Sorry about awful spelling and grammar that you might pick out, im on my phone >_<

I know what you mean about the mirrors, I avoid the ones that magnify my face since it shows every little detail. I am also particular about the lighting, I hate my bathroom light (fluorescent) and prefer to do my makeup in my bedroom which has more natural light. I know what we go through with our bdd may seem ridiculous to others just as emetophobia seems crazy to those who don't suffer. It really sucks to have to deal with emetophobia, gad, ibs, bdd and probably more acronyms that I can't think of right now. Life is a mess!
    Totally know what you mean about lighting, it has the ability to make someone look either really good or really bad. Honestly I wouldn't worry about people who don't understand BDD, they are not worth your time or effort. Just focus on you.

Quote Originally Posted by KaydeeJayde View Post
    I'd use a quote but my phone won't let me. I wonder if that study that says attractive people are more likely to succeed takes into consideration those people who are just naturally unattractive. I dont think im pretty at all, im overweight, i've tried everything short of surgery to try and "fix" it, but nothing works. Am i destined to be unsuccessful? Im not saying this because im trying to argue or anything im just interested in your opinions... I've now made the decision to work on being happy with myself the way i am rather than trying to change who i am to be happy, and i believe ill be succeszful as long as i work hard for it, i just thought it was an interesting thought.

Sorry about awful spelling and grammar that you might pick out, im on my phone >_<
    I don't think the studies are saying that if one is average looking they are destined to fail at life. This obviously is not true. They just say that people who are above average looking tend to have an easier time achieving things, getting the promotions, negotiate a higher pay cheque by virtue of being more attractive. Average looking people just have to work a bit harder and be a little more charismatic.