Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Wisdom Teeth Extraction!

I'm having all four of my wisdom teeth extracted today. I've heard multiple stories of nausea and v* after the surgery, caused by either the anesthetic or pain medication. I've been told that I can ask the doctor for something for nausea and they will give you something. Can anyone confirm that?

Default Re: Wisdom Teeth Extraction!

How did it go sweetie? Did you get some anti-emetics from your doctor beforehand? I hope the procedure went well! I can't imagine how anxious you must have been, I freak out at the thought of going to the dentist let alone getting four teeth out! Hope it went well

E x
    2010 && 2011 the years I met Gok Wan
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Helena Bonham Carter <3

Lets slap Emet in the face. . .

Follow My Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It actually went great! They gave me an injection of Zofran before they knocked me out, then a prescription to take home. I've felt fantastic ever since. A little sore, swallowing some blood, but otherwise I feel great. Only issue now is that I'm scared to take the Percoset they gave me because one of the main side effects is nausea and v*. So all I'm taking is generic tylenol. But that will just have to be good enough! Lol.

I had all four of my wisdom teeth out. I was ok no n* or vomiting. I was in alot of pain the next few days. I did give in once and took a pain pill but it made me feel sick. Well I think it did but it might have been all in my head LOL. All I took was just Tylonal and in a week I was back to normal.

Glad it went well for you.

Congratulations!! If you need to, I would try taking a pain pill. They can make people feel sick, but they don't always. For example, one of my friends could take Percocet but not Vicodin, and another of my friends was the reverse. Up to you though! If the tylenol is working for you, keep at it!
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

Glad to hear the procedure went well Did you decide to take the other pain meds? Or have you just stuck to the Tylenol? As ling as it helps like spilled_milk said then that's fine

E x

Helena Bonham Carter <3

Follow My Blog

wait, i was seriously about to make this post, my dentist just informed me that i had to get them removed. However i have a rude dentist, and i dont think he would give me anti nausea meds. I am extremly freaked out, especially because all my friends v*ed after, and coughed up blood. So how did you ask your dentist for the anti nausea meds ? Please give me any advice you ccan, im like petrified haha

I can understand your anxiety ^^ I would be freakin' out too after the experience that your friends went through but just because all your friends went through that- doesn't mean to say you will too! *massive cuddles* Although i've not had my wisdom teeth out (im only 17) from what i've heard and seen on here is that you can go to your GP && get them to prescribe you some anti-emetics before the procedure!

E x

Helena Bonham Carter <3

Follow My Blog

My GP, is that my stomach doctor ? And i feel like my doctor doesnt believe in all my symptoms, she leans towards the "its in your head" side.

It might be different in the USA but GP stands for general practitioner so yes basically your doctor! I certainly don't think it's right how your doctor says it's "all in your head" that attitude doesn't get us anywhere... Have you tried switching doctors to someone more understanding?

E x

Helena Bonham Carter <3

Follow My Blog

No, because my mom picks my doctors, and she also thinks that it's just my stress :/

Glad it went well! Mine was the same but I had 5 removed. My advice to always ask for nausea meds before hand and then you will be safe! They gave me zofran in an iv and there was antietics in the gas mask thingy i guess. Idk but somehow i had like two forms of it. And going to a good oral surgeon makes all the difference! I like seeing positive reactions to things we worry so much about.
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

“We are the girls with anxiety disorders, filled appointment books, five-year plans. We take ourselves very, very seriously. We are the peacemakers, the do-gooders, the givers, the savers. We are on time, overly prepared, well read, and witty, intellectually curious, always moving. We pride ourselves on getting as little sleep as possible and thrive on self-deprivation. We drink coffee, a lot of it. We are on birth control, Prozac, and multivitamins. We are relentless, judgmental with ourselves, and forgiving to others. We never want to be as passive-aggressive as our mothers, never want to marry men as uninspired as our fathers. We are the daughters of the feminists who said, “You can be anything,” and we heard, “You have to be everything.”

so you ask your doctor for the meds, not the dentist or your stomach doctor ?

When I went in, I just told them that I have a bad reaction to anesthetic, and I get nauseous from it, and to please give me something to counteract it. And they did. They put in Zofran through an IV before they knocked me out, then gave me a prescription for Zofran for the days after. I still have a few left. They are an amazing thing to have laying around for people like us!!!

Wink Re: Wisdom Teeth Extraction!

I got my wisdoms out a few years ago, and when I asked the nurse to give me something because I was afraid of v* afterwards, she told me they didn't give anything unless it happened, and I was already prepped for surgery, so I actually did it on my own! I felt just fine afterwards, and only took scrip IBP for the pain.

Now, looking back, I see how strong we emit's really are! We can be brave! I also noticed that for myself, I haven't v* since I was about 11, (I am 29) and went through 2 pregnancies without v* (thank God for Promethazine...) but noticed that a lot of other ppl on this site haven't v*'ed in a long time either, so I think the reason ppl do after the surgery so often is that they don't care if they do or not, so they don't have the willpower that we do to keep it from happening. Obviously, the willpower is strong if many of us can go so many years with flu's and food poisoning, and still not v*. So take a deep breath, trust your bravery and willpower, and say some prayers (I will too), we can get these things accomplished!

I had all four of mine out just a couple days after I turned 15. I was prepared to be traumatized because they hadn't even sprouted so they had to put me under and extract all four by cutting the gums. It actually went great. I only had swelling for about 2 days after the surgery, but I kept spitting large amounts of saliva. I remember panicking before the surgery and I asked the nurse if there's anything I can take in case I get nauseous or feel like vomiting, and she told me that they would put gravol or another anti-emetic directly through IV while I was in surgery (it takes effect very quickly). But I never needed it, even post-op. I was knocked out for about 17 hours and when I finally came around the next day, I never thought I needed to pee so bad. It was when I stood up really fast and went to the bathroom that I felt kind of nauseous, but it passed. I lived on ice cream and popsicles for the first few days to help numb the pain, and it worked.

My boyfriend also had his wisdoms out last year in the summer and it went really well. He came home about 45 minutes after the surgery (even after being knocked out) and couldn't talk but he was trying to communicate how hungry he was. I was worried every time he got up that he would need to vomit, but he was actually making his way into the kitchen for some coconut ice cream, hahah, bless his heart. He's also not emetophobic at all, so he even took all of the meds his doctor gave him (NONE of them were anti-emetics either) and he did fantastic with his recovery. Hope your recovery is also the same and I hope what my stories offer some encouragement and comfort.
    destroy what destroys you

im eventually going to have to get mine removed on top... im nervous!