Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thumbs up first time with a councelor

Yesterday i met with a councelor (through kaiser) for my recent anxiety problem. She was pretty nice, she asked me mostly about my background since it was only the first session but i did mention the anxiety stemming from my emetophobia. She had never heard of it so i explained it was a fear of v* and how my fear was specifically the act of v*. She kept asking "whats the worst that could happen if you v'd" and of course i said i wouldnt like it.

I found it was hard to explain the actual feeling behind the phobia; its not that its "scary" in the sense of "omg v*! Im afraid!" (like scary murderer afraid), its more of a terrifying painc fear kind of thing, but i couldnt explain that at the time.

She mentioned earlier that i should see a nutritionist to make sure im getting the things i need (since i often restrict my diet) so im kinda looking forward to that. :3

When i go back next tuesday ill remember to print out and bring that FAQ thing thats on here so hopefully she'll get a better understanding.
    Just wanted to update!

Default Re: first time with a councelor

I'm glad you got to see a counselor! I completely agree with you about it being difficult to explain the fear. My dad asks me when I panic "and if you v* what will happen?" and I can never come up with an answer besides "I'll v* and it will be terrible". Its definitely something to think about.
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

i hate when my psychiatrist (or other professionals) ask me that! like i dont know how I feel. the best was when he asked me how i felt when i saw my brother v* when i was like 3 years old...I DONT REMEMBER!

omg!!! the first therapist i went to used to always ask me that question too: "whats the worst thing that could happen if you v*?" and im like DUH THAT IS THE WORST THING THAT COULD HAPPEN!!! It bugged the heck out of me because its the stupidest question ever. im here because im scared out of my mind of everything involving v*. so i wonder what the worst thing that can possible happen is? sheesh. no wonder we didnt stick with that therapist long. :P