Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Are you like me?

My emet isn't about others, I call mine selfish. But it's about ME being sick. Naturally, I don't like to see others get sick, in fact I do run away.. However, it would be worse if I did it. I worked in a nursing home and heard some one be sick, but I was ok... I panicked but was ok....

My fear is me being sick, if I have an upset stomach, I automatically assume it could happen. What I've started to do, is I take my temp a lot. I literally carry a thermometer in my purse! If I feel hot, or flush, I guess it's my coping mechanism to justify it.

I hate it, anyone else like me?

Default Re: Are you like me?

I am more like you, I get anxious if someone around me vomits but I don't assume I'm exposed and doomed. I think the only reason why I don't like others being sick is seeing the act of it might make me become ill. I am more terrified of myself getting sick, I do fear my son getting ill but anyone else doesn't bother me. I've actually cleaned up other peoples vomit, it just depends on what kind of day I'm having and if I don't feel sick. I am scared of being sick in front of people and just being sick in general...it doesn't taste, smell or feel good.
    My Jacob makes life beautiful.

I don't like seeing others get sick either. Mine is also selfish.. I take my temp all the time too! I don't carry one in my purse but I do carry plastic bags (just in case) and am constantly feeling my cheeks and forehead to see if im feeling hot. My cheeks get hot often at night so you can imagine, my anxiety is worse at night! I fear being around kids because kids are always sick and im afraid im going to catch whatever they have! My fear is worst when it comes to me getting sick in public, far away from my home!

I am also most terrified about myself. I am scared of others too, but I'm able to take care of friends and such if I know they are vomiting because they are drunk or something. I can't deal with others if I know I could catch it and get sick from it.

I used to take my temp all the time, but I realized it was actually starting to scare me more so now I try to limit the amount I take it. I'm scared of being sick in general, but recently I'm even more scared of getting sick in a public place.
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

im the same way.i dnt care at all if someone else is sick.i wish it was the other way around.if i could handle being sick i would be normal.

I'm the same. I worry about others, but only if there's a chance I can catch it. I mean, it's gross regardless, but for me it's mainly a fear of me being sick.

i'm like you! i dont have any problem with other people being sick. my friend was drunk once and v* in front of me. but the minimum pain that has to do with me is a disaster! i even make a big deal out of nothing at all and start to think that i'm sick! i think its all bcz of anxiety :/

im COMPLETELY opposite. I'm pretty much ONLY afraid of seeing other people get sick. would i rather get sick myself than see someone else get sick? tough question... probably not, but then again who actually likes getting sick?

I'm pretty much the same in the selfishness department, but I've never really thought of it as selfishness (is that bad of me? XD). I don't really care if other people are vomiting even if they're my best friends (probably because its not as big a deal for them) but for me vomiting would be the end of the world. I can't even be around people who feel like they're going to be sick. I've never carried around a thermometer but I'm always worried even when I just feel a little sick, even if its just a cold!

Just a little note for all you guys who said you're selfish - you're not. Honestly. You have a phobia, it doesn't make you selfish at all. You all seem lovely! Don't put yourselves down, that's the phobia talking. xxx