Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default New and need encouragement!

Hi all! So, Ive got a 2 day concert to go to next week and finding myself very anxious about it! I fear getting sick in public, I fear getting sick and being too far from my home. I will be about an hour away.. I have a hard time going anywhere farther then about 20min without feeling sick with anxiety. What are some relaxation techniques that I could use to help me get through it? I am not on meds (no insurance and broke)

My emetophobia has skyrocketed since January when I was driving with my dad and he got sick all over the car while I was driving. It took all I could not to jump out of the moving car. Ever since then, it has been debilitating! I honestly feel sick every day. My anxiety has almost ruined my marriage.
    Ive been an emetophobic for atleast 4 years.. I havent been sick in over 10 years but I didn't start thinking about it until then.

Thank you

Default Re: New and need encouragement!

I can definitely understand feeling anxious about being far from home. Will you be going with friends/your significant other? I hope so!

I know everyone has their things that help them feel less anxious, but personally mine is gum and being able to text friends. I find that having that distraction really helps me.

Who are you going to see in concert? *nosy*

You need to stop the negative thought cycle of 'Oh, I don't think I can go, what if I'm sick? What if people look at me and laugh when I'm sick? I feel sick now. I'm probably ill. I can't go.' When you first heard about the concert, were you excited? Did you want to go? Did you think about how much fun it would be? If yes, then you need to replace the negative thoughts with the positive ones you felt earlier. I find it helps to write myself a letter in the furtue - it says things like 'I know you're feeling nervous, but you really want to do this. You really want to get over this fear and enjoy the concert. Who cares if you're sick? No one will care. Nothing will happen! Just be brave, you know you can.' That way, when I'm feeling really down and depressed, I can read that back and regain a little of the positivity I felt earlier.

Then, once you're feeling more positive. You just have to be brave. There is no other solution. You can't wait for the fear to go away - you just have to fight it head on. If you like, break the concert down into little steps. For example, you say to yourself 'all I have to do is get out the front door. That's all I'm going to do now' and then you step outside and close the door. All you have to do is close the door behind you. That's all. Don't think about what's happening next. Don't think about how you'll feel in a minute or two. All you think about is now. Right now. You've closed the door, you get in your car. You've just got to sit in your car and drive to the end of your road. You've just got to do it. You'll feel anxious, you'll feel sick - but remember that the sicker you feel, the more anxious you feel, the weaker your fear is getting. Fight it. Be brave and fight it. Sit in your car and feel sick, feel the adrenalin - is the worst it can do? Emetophobia is pathetic. It's not worth your worry and it has no right to control your life - so be brave and fight it, one step at a time.

When you're at the concert, and you're starting to panic, and you're thinking 'oh my god! I'm so far away from home! I'm trapped! What if I'm sick? Oh my god, will I be sick?' that is when you need to go to a calm, quiet place, such as the bathroom and be alone for a moment. I find it helps to look at yourself in the mirror. You could be sick at any moment. You could be sick in front of all these people. You could be sick right now...but....so what? So what if you're sick? Does it matter? Does anyone really care? Nothing would change. Nothing at all. The band will keep playing, your heart will keep beating and the world will keep spinning. It's scary to think those thoughts when you're at your most vulnerable - but its the only way of fighting your emetophobia.

So, right now, write yourself a positive letter for next week saying how much you want to do this. Then, find your inner strength and fight your fear. You'll feel amazing afterwards. You'll feel absolutely incredible.

If you like, you can read my 'self-help guide' in the Treatment pages, see if it helps! GOOD LUCK! YOU CAN DO IT! xx.

Thank you CocoTango, I know I can do this. 6 months ago I still had emetophobia but was able to live my life and not let it ruin me.. why can't I do that now? The world is not going to end if I get sick in the car, nor will it end if I get sick in front of a bunch of people. I know I can do this and will be able to enjoy myself. I just have to do it! I am probably more anxious thinking about it now then I will be when I leave.. The anxiety only lasts so long, it's gotta go away sometime. Im going with my Mom which is really great because she is one of my security blankets.

It's a 2 days Christian womens concert called Women of Faith. I used to go every year but its gotten so expensive that I haven't been able to in 2 years so for my birthday my Mom got us tickets.. I don't know about you guys, but I believe everything happens for a reason and I believe that God has a plan for my life whether I have emetophobia or not! This has been the worst year of my life and I need this weekend to regain my faith and feel good about myself. This could be the beginning of a cure for me, who knows!

I will fight this fear head on! I am in control of myself and will be fine either way

Yay! I'm so pleased that you're feeling positive! You're right - you can do this and I'm sure you'll have a great time with your mum. I'm no Christian myself, but my friend, who is a Christian, she says that God gave her anxiety because he knew she'd be strong enough to deal with it. I thought that was a nice thought. So maybe God gave you this emetophobia because he knew you'd be strong enough to overcome it, he knows you'll be able to fight it. Good luck and have fun! xx.