Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thumbs down PLEASE HELP! need advice!

There is something going on with my stomach and my doc said I need a gastroscopy.......ummm.....knowing what the procedure entails I'm freaking out about getting it done. Its the only way unfortunately to find out what's wrong. Has anyone gotten it done??? I just want to knoow what to expect so any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

Default Re: PLEASE HELP! need advice!

I had a gastroscopy last year (also a colonoscopy in the same go), and it was TOTALLY fine. I freaked out for AGES first (mostly because of the colonoscopy - yikes!), and then it was kind of a let down because it was SO fine!!

I had to take some laxative treatments first (I don't know if you'd have to do that if you're not having a colonoscopy too), which I was really scared of beforehand, but it was not that bad at all. I thought it would cause an upset stomach and pains etc but that didn't happen - it was fine. The worst bit was that I wasn't allowed to eat for a day or two before, so I was STARVING - but that is just annoying, not traumatic. I went in to the hospital and they gave me a sedative. I don't know the difference between that and a general anaesthetic, but it felt the same to me (i.e. I woke up after remembering nothing) except it didn't make me feel at all sick or dizzy or anything, which general anaesthetics do. After I woke up, they brought me some food (at LAST!) and then I was allowed to go home. I had no side effects, no nasty surprises or weird feelings after or anything, and nothing - not the laxative treatment or the anaesthetic or the actual procedure - made me sick or even nauseous. The scariest bit is stressing about it beforehand - not the actual thing! Good luck!

Default Re: PLEASE HELP! need advice!

Thanks for the support! No no colonoscopy for me just the gastroscopy....and you're right I'm definitely freaking out for no reason but if it was that easy to control our minds we probably wouldn't be on this site : ) lol