Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Unhappy new and feeling sad.

my emet is really, really bad at the moment - i dont know what to do about it. somedays i just feel like giving up. therapy takes such a long time to work for people i've heard?? im so sad bcause i cant do any of things i want to do due to this emet. its so unfair. my sister is having a party nxt week at our house and its going to be sooooo stressful for me bcause they are all staying over - how will i cope!?? i dont sleep at night until like 4 bcause i am sooo stressed out and i feel soo sick. i cant leave the house and i hate having people over because it makes me feel reeeally really sick. what can i do? they are invading the only place i can feel safe. i dont want it to happen. they are going to a concert before they come back to our place. i could deal with that. why cant they just go home after the concert? why do they have to come back here and make me feel sooo sick??? arrrrghh...feeling sad.

Default Re: new and feeling sad.

Hi Paprika, I've felt similar feelings many times. I have issues going to sleep at night because I don't always feel good. I worry about guest coming over or going out with them. I always assume the worst will happen. Most of the time when you feel sick it's just anxiety. You are very anxious about the worst thing happening and your mind tricks you into thinking you will be sick. I wish I had an answer or good advice, I've been battling this phobia for 23 years with no medication or therapy. I get through the phobia by standing up for myself and I fight it daily. You have to stand up for yourself and be strong. People coming over may feel like the end of the world but it will soon be over and you can get back to normal. We have to deal with uncomfortable situations all the time and it will only make you stronger. I hope this website can bring you comfort and help. Good luck and I wish you well.
    My Jacob makes life beautiful.

Default Re: new and feeling sad.

Good luck Paprika.
    I feel your pain; I have anxiety attacks at nighttime too because I feel sick and I don't know why, even though people tell me, "it's because you're anxious," and I always retaliate with, "but what if you're wrong, how do you know?"
    You sound like me; the anxiety attacks, the stress, and the fear of people coming over. I used to love having friends over but now I can't and fear my sister's friends and even visits from my grandparents. However, my best suggestion (if your sister's friends have not come yet) is to find a comfterable place by yourself and put some headphones in and read or something. Tune everyone out and pretend you are all alone and there are no new people in your house. I am told that sometimes your way of thinking can change a whole situation around.
    Also, even though therapy isn't for everyone, I suggest going. I really didn't want to go in the beginning; I am 14 years old and I just considered it a joke and no real help. But then I realized that even if your emetophobia doesn't go away, it's sort of helping your anxiety out a bit by telling someone what's going on and knowing that they know what you're going through and will try their best to make things better again.
    I hope you don't feel sad anymore.