Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Have hit rock bottom for a long time now.

I am having a really horrible time lately. I am trying SO hard to stop being so emetophobic. I am trying to stop avoidance behaviour and lots of other things. I am 17, haven't told my parents about my phobia so for now I just want to try overcome it on my own. It seems that life is really getting to me. It's not just the fear, but I feel like I have been putting up with so many things and everything has just gotten to me. I don't sleep until 1am every night, the anxiety doesn't ever go away, the scary thoughts stay in my head constantly and I have just lost a lot of hope in my life. I hate this fear so much and I want nothing more than to overcome it. I have my final exams in 2 weeks so study is really important to me at the moment but this phobia constantly stops me. I find that when I am anxious I can't do anything, I can't distract myself, I can't go excersise or whatever. I want some hope in my life. Is anyone else struggling like this today or always?
    Hope you are all doing fine

Default Re: Have hit rock bottom for a long time now.

I've struggled all my life. Like I mentioned in another post, I have never taken medication or seek treatment for this phobia. I find it very frustrating how no doctors, therapist ect are aware or educated about this phobia. This phobia really needs more attention then it gets. I have never seen a phobia cause so much mental anguish, stress on the mind, body and soul of a person suffering. People who have this phobia do self harm, want to die, have panic attacks, eating disorders and so on. You are not alone and it's very frustrating to deal with. I've told my friends and family of my phobia but nobody takes it seriously, I've been labeled as a freak who doesn't like to vomit. I wish you luck on your exams, you can do it as long as you put the fear behind you and focus. Just keep in mind your school is important and depends on your future. School now, worry later. I wish you good luck and I hope you can find some answers and help.
    My Jacob makes life beautiful.

Thanks so much for your kind words. Your not a freak, and I'm sure you know that. It is so frustrating how this is just seen as a little habit by people and nothing really important or significant in a sufferers life. But as you said, it isn't just the phobia, it is the anxiety, depression, panic, eating disorders, suicide and self harm that comes with it! I am not sure if you read a post on here about self help... I have only just read it today and it has provided me with a lot of hope. I will link it to you incase you haven't read it because there isn't much professional help out there.... http://www.emetophobia.org/showthread.php?t=34786
    I wish you lots of luck too and the ability to stay strong and hopeful in this scary world we live in only temporarily of course!

Aww thanks!
    My Jacob makes life beautiful.

Hi stopthissong,

I am definitely struggling in a similar way - I have midterms quite soon, and there have been many days/nights where emet got in the way of studying, when the fear was too overwhelming for me to do anything else. I'm in therapy right now, and I'm handling it better than in have in the past. If you and your parents have a good relationship, maybe it would help to let them know - especially if your under their health insurance, which could cover therapy. I only startered therapy in my junior year of college, but wish I had been able to start it sooner. If that is an option, it could help a lot in the long term. If that isn't an option (and when I was in high school, it wasn't for me), go for the self-help books/articles.

I find that a lot of the time, the only thing that motivates me to work through the fear is acknowledging how much I hate the phobia, and how desperately I want to live without it.

I don't know if you wanted advice, but I know that I usually do when I'm struggling so... If you have anybody in your life who can support you, in the sense of encouraging you to allow the fear to be there while you do other important things (like studying), maybe that could help.

I've had so many days/nights in the past few weeks that have really interfered with studying. However - I did much better than I expected on my first exam, so keep in mind that you might know more than you think you know, even if you don't study as much as you want to.

If you want to talk, feel free to pm me (although I've never used that feature before).

sorry you're having such a stressful time right now. i've had emet for over 50 years.......although never knew it had a name until just a few years ago.

it is frustrating that not many doctors know anything about it........but i will say that my regular doctor.....a gp.....prescribed me an antidepresant over 15 years ago (prozac) an it totally helps me with my anxiety and obsessive thoughts about being sick. i live a pretty normal life now....work full time, married, go out with friends, etc. i do have bad days......but for the most part i can function......so don't give up on the doctor....go talk to one......there is help. alot of people don't believe in meds for treatment of this......but i feel if im sick.....either mentally or physically....and there is something to make me live a better life i'm going to take it. i've gone off prozac a few times (no withdrawal probs) and i can tell when i need to start it back up again (no probs starting it either). go and talk to your doctor just about general anxiety and panic and see what he says. since i've come to this site i've printed off the question and answer section at the top of this and given it to my doctor.....he found it very interesting and helpful in understanding how i feel.....

don't give up hope........there's a lot of good things to come your way
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I think its important that you explain to your parents what is going on, my mum has always been so supportive of me and it helps having someone to share your worries with. Also talking to the doc can be very good if you find yours does not understand ask him to do a little research. I have tried foe a long time to get rid of my phobia and for the most part I can function in a normal life but the fear is there, my doc has been great and is helping me find the right medication and therapy, you are young enough that with help you can put this behind you, just dont be afraid to talk.x