Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default No professional help.. Can I do this on my own?

I have been struggling with emetophobia for about 6 years now. Over the past year, I have done various things in my life, I have made a number of changes and I have been able to make me emetophobia less existant, however there are still a huge amount of problems in terms of my phobia. I still have it obviously, but I want to try to overcome it on my own for a whole lot of reasons I won't bore you with. Has anyone done anything to help overcome their fear? Any advice or tips? Is it even possible? I think it is, I think humans are capable of so much, we don't even know it. Hopefully it is possible.
    Hope you are all doing fine and having one of those lovely rare happy, anxious free days!

Default Re: No professional help.. Can I do this on my own?

I'd be interested in overcoming it on my own. I know in order to be cured you must first want to be cured and have faith in your treatment. My problem is I don't believe I'm treatable. I know there is a possibility but after 23 years of thinking the same way I wonder if there is hope. I wish it were easy, like as a child I was afraid of monsters and I grew up and realize they are not real and it's silly to be scared. The fear of being sick has never went away unfortunately and the intensity of my fear comes and goes. I've never taken medication or had therapy for emetophobia, I've learn to deal with it all my life. Maybe someday I can afford to get treatment, my only advice is to be strong for yourself. You have to face yourself daily and make your own decisions if you are going to give in or not. Remember your mind is powerful and our thought process is what we are fighting against. Stand up for yourself and take risk, you'll learn that there is really nothing to be scared of and you'll be proud of yourself for doing it. Good luck.
    My Jacob makes life beautiful.

You have some really good words in there. The hardest part is putting them into action. I think it is definitely possible that you can overcome this even after 23 years of it. Humans can achieve anything with brain power. We're not alone and we can never lose hope.

you should be positive! i advice u to take a notebook and write down everything that bothers you, then brainstorm what u wish to do that u r not able to do bcz of ur phobia! and put some mini goals! doesnt matter how much, 5 or 500... the important thing is to try to achieve 1 or as many as u want everyday!

I have a "self-help" section on my website - check it out!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have been emet for almost 20 years and have seen a good few therapists for it, none of which worked for me, infact a number of them seemed to make my phobia worse. My middle child started school at the start of september and I was really worrying about it - having two children at school doubles the chances?? Anyway, I went on holiday in August and got upset as my daughter needed the toilet in public place - thats when i decided enough was enough - i was done with CBT, I was done with it stopping me having fun and done with it taking my time with my children away so I just stopped going for CBT after so many years. And since that day, I know its still early days, but I have coped so much better than I ever have done. I have been able to send my girls to school knowing that someone v in thier class, I have been able to volunteer to read in thier class when 6 months ago it was hard enough getting me in the play ground.
    I think you have to WANT to do it, its a test of willpower, but i am so glad i amdoing it alone and im not ashamed to say i am very proud of myself. real test will be when the girls get ill (touch wood)XX

Same here Alisha! I am so frustrated with that defeated and hopeless feeling that because I don't know any different, I am terrified of actually being normal because just the thought is so unimaginable for me. I almost think it would be a little easier if my phobia started later in life, so I could at least remember a time when I wasn't afraid... good luck to you all... there has to be a way to overcome this!

Thank you!!!

How can I see your website address if I don't have the requisite amount of posts to view links? I don't want to post 10 times if (since) I really don't have anything valuable to contribute yet....

J have been seeing a therapist for my phobia and just when things started to seem like they were going somewhere I was informed that my insurance was no longer going to pay for my therapy until next year and that is after my deductable, needless to say I cannot afford to pay full price for my therapy and I really need the help asap.

im not sure if there really is an end all cure for this as people claim. you may get to a point where your more comfy with V but i don't think it can ever totally go away.

Wow I didn't know that you need a number of posts in order to view my signature line (and link). It's a simple website address to remember: www.EmetophobiaHelp.org
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.