Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default My 18th Birthday / Alcohol

As i've said before I feel i am seriously emetophobic. I don't eat the wrong foods, drink alcohol, i check all foods for "pink bits" etc, etc.

Anyway, its my 18th birthday in just under a month and I'm having a big party then going into town after.

Obviously, alcohol will be a big factor, and ive never really drunk as im too scared of getting s***. Any advice? Do i dodge alcohol? Pretend to drink it? Or just do it? Will it really make me sick?

Please give me some advice

Bils x

Default Re: My 18th Birthday / Alcohol

Hey there,

I'm turning 21 in 3 days, which is when you're legal to drink in the US, so I'm facing a similar situation. I was a huge party girl when I was younger though, so I have gotten very drunk before. First, you are definitely able to have a drink or two and be absolutely fine. Don't mix liquors (e.g. if you have a drink with vodka, stick with that. If you have a beer, stick with beer for the night). Don't take shots. What I'm planning to do, and what I would advise you to do, is to have mixed drinks or beer and drink them slowly. That way you can only have one or two drinks the whole night but you will always have something in your hand so your friends won't pressure you as much to drink.

Also, if you do decide you don't want to drink or you are being pressured to drink more than you want to, there's no shame in saying no. You don't need to pretend to drink, you can just say you want to take it easy that night or that you aren't feeling well. It's your birthday, you should be able to do what you want!

Have fun
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by spilled_milk View Post
    Hey there,

I'm turning 21 in 3 days, which is when you're legal to drink in the US, so I'm facing a similar situation. I was a huge party girl when I was younger though, so I have gotten very drunk before. First, you are definitely able to have a drink or two and be absolutely fine. Don't mix liquors (e.g. if you have a drink with vodka, stick with that. If you have a beer, stick with beer for the night). Don't take shots. What I'm planning to do, and what I would advise you to do, is to have mixed drinks or beer and drink them slowly. That way you can only have one or two drinks the whole night but you will always have something in your hand so your friends won't pressure you as much to drink.

Also, if you do decide you don't want to drink or you are being pressured to drink more than you want to, there's no shame in saying no. You don't need to pretend to drink, you can just say you want to take it easy that night or that you aren't feeling well. It's your birthday, you should be able to do what you want!

Have fun
    I agree with what she says
    My Jacob makes life beautiful.

I think you should have a drink or two if YOU want to, but only do it for you. Don't do it for other people. I am a very wary emetophobic, but I am happy to have alcoholic drinks. They're extremely unlikely to make you sick if you drink in moderation. Have one drink, drink slowly, and see if you want another; I tend to stick to two or three in a night. The rest of the time you can have water or a soft drink. I quite like rosé wine, but I find wine in general can be a bit strong. Lager is quite an acquired taste, I think; I didn't really like it until I was about 20 or 21. I tended to like very sweet drinks when I was 18 or so, like Malibu and cola or Archers and lemonade. I couldn't touch those now; far too sugary! I also liked alcopops! Not good for the teeth!

You will be all right. Just do not feel pressured into doing something you don't want to do, and take things slowly if you do decide to drink. And have a wonderful 18th birthday xxx

Haha!
    Mannn... i been there! And because i have thrown up due to drinking i will NEVR drink again until i get treated
    If you drink beer... drink them slow cause you dont wanna get bloated and what not.
    And if you drink liquor its fine... just dont over do it to thapoint where you cant walk or see anymore cause then you will puke later!
    And ALWAYS!!! .......#1 rule....dont drink cheap alcohol for that shitt will have you pukin tha whole day the next morning!! Been there done that broo! Haha

Spilled_Milk is right! Enjoy yourself! I usually stick to 1 drink because not only does alcohol scare me, but I hate the taste of it as well! But have a couple of drinks is not going to hurt.. Just try not to feel anxious because we all know anxiety makes everything worse! Good luck and, Happy Birthday
    "We have to learn to be our own best friends because we fall too easily into the trap of being our own worst enemies."