Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Feeling Scared...

Hey, I'm new around here. I play violin in a semi-professional orchestra, and I can barely make it through a concert I'm so terrified of v*, especially doing it onstage. I've had to leave the stage several times in the last couple of years because I thought I might v*, though I never did. I have a concert on Sunday, and I'm so scared that I'm going to freak out. Does anyone have any strategies for calming down when you're in a situation that you can't leave? I'm so frustrated and sad... I can't do the one thing I've trained for my entire life.

Default Re: Feeling Scared...

Hello. How wonderful to play such a beautiful instrument Well first, the best predictor of the future is the past. In your case, you never HAVE actually v* in the past on stage so I'm almost positive you won't on Sunday. Practice some deep breathing so you won't have all this anxiety. A little anxiety before going on stage is totally normal but I think you may be panicing. Second, you have to trust your body. It 's in control even if your emotions are not. You'll be fine, don't be sad. But you have to change that negative mind set and think positive.
    \"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans\"-John Lennon