Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question Things are somehow scarier at night...

I'm one of the few who actually fears OTHER people vomiting only.

I'm a resident advisor in my one of the residence halls on my college campus. I love my job - The programming, meeting new people, getting to be creative... The only thing I get super nervous about is Wednesdays. Wednesdays are "duty" nights for me. Residents have a phone number they can call when they're in the building and I answer it if things go wrong (locked out, a no hot water in showers, etc.) but sometimes I have had calls about there being say, vomit on the elevator or someone "throwing up all over the 6th floor bathroom" - These were not good experiences. They've happened - In fact, they were so terrifying that I couldn't handle them. I literally RAN from the situation.

It's still the beginning of the school year (SORT of) and nothing like this has happened yet but I cannot sleep on duty because I know there's a possibility of this kind of thing happening. The phone is on from 7pm-7am. ANYONE could throw up during that time and me have to know about it to call emergency housekeeping to get it cleaned. There are 403 residents in my building. This is unsettling - Especially at night. Anyone else feel particularly nervous about their fear/anxiety regarding vomit at night? Why is that? Where does that come from?

Hmmm.

Default Re: Things are somehow scarier at night...

It's bc we aren't busy any more. All day we are occupied with things, then at night during relaxation time, those scary thoughts and fears sneak in. Good luck

I'm the complete opposit! I'm not a morng person and I have anxiety the mrng:/ at night I'm usually ok and feel to go out! Nws gd luck with everything!

I seem to get more anxious in the morning and night but less in the middle of the day. Sadly, I do not know why.

Mine is so much worse at night! and almost unbearable if I wake up in the middle of the night and im stuck laying there awake thinking and letting my mind go crazy!
    "We have to learn to be our own best friends because we fall too easily into the trap of being our own worst enemies."

thats exactly how i am. that happened to me last night; i woke up and immidiately went ohnoohno what if i woke up because im going to v* and freaked out and went into my mothers room. she is used to this and says that i should know that the fact that i made it throught the night and did not v* like i was scared i would should comfort me, but it doesnt. i just think, well, theres always tomorrow night so you never know.

Another reason my fear is worse at night is because I am more afraid of waking up in the middle of the night and v* then getting sick during the day.. I love to sleep so I fear waking up in the middle of the night getting sick, and losing sleep. I have no idea why but it's how I am! and It sucks!
    "We have to learn to be our own best friends because we fall too easily into the trap of being our own worst enemies."

same with me! sleeping is like heaven for me lol, i love it love it love it and then on days when i should be sleeping in and such i am worried i will wake up and stuff feeling sick and not get back to sleep, instead spending the rest of the time i should be sleeping worrying about what could happen and getting so anxious i actually feel like i am about to v* which is terrifying. I agree; it really sucks. :\

I agree, I am definitly more afraid at night, but not just with me, but I hate it when my kids wake up and come in our room feeling ill. I panic everytime I hear someone up walking around and come to find out 99.9 % of the time they are just using the restroom.

OMG YES (lol sorry i keep replying to all of these posts even tho you guys arent specifically talking to me.)!!! i'll be in bed and it is absolutely terrible for me because my room is right accross from the bathroom and i wake up if anyone walks down the hall and then i lay there holding my breath and panicking until they come out again. sometimes i wake up and it seems like the middle of the night because its still dark so i think it is but my sister goes into the bathroom for a shower, and i lay there having a panic attack until shes done with her shower because i didnt know why she was in there and i worry that she may be v*ing and her showers can be loooong.
    but its really scary because most of the time if someone's sick (besides them), i'm the first one to know, and i have to spend my entire night trying to ignore the terrifying things coming from there and hearing them v* through two walls and most of the time if one brother is sick the other is too, so its a long period of fear (not to mention what it is like for THEM.).