Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Might have Meningitis

So pissed off. I've been really sick the past couple of weeks. I've been in a lot of pain, and it worsened last night with a migraine and now a bunch of body aches. My neck is stiff, I have a fever, and still stuck with this headache. So now my mom, and the doctor she works with, think I have Meningitis and now my brother is on his way here to take me to the doctor. My mom wanted me to go to the ER, but I'm afraid of the ER so I'd rather not unless the doctor who takes a look at me suggests it...

I'm pissed because I've been sick for so long now. I still have a barky cough, etc. Gahh. If this is Meningitis I'll be furiiioous.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Att våga är att tappa fotfästet en stund, att inte våga är att förlora sig själv."
    "To dare is to lose your foothold for a moment, to not dare is to lose yourself."

Default Re: Might have Meningitis

How high is your fever? It doesn't really sound like menigitis to me due to your symtoms and how long youve been sick

Um I had meningitis and was hospitalized for weeks. I was written up in the newspaper where I was hospitalized for being an extreme case and I did not have the normal symptoms. Your description does sound like it to me. I also had severe daily migraines, worse than anything I could ever have felt. Dizziness, nausea, vomitting, and I couldn't move or eat for about a month. But the ONLY way to tell is with a spinal tap. They gave me morphine and I dont remember a thing! Get it checked don't mess with it. If it's viral they can't give you anything but if it's bacterial you can die. It's worth the tap.

I had meningitis when I was a young girl and I almost died from it after being sent home from a doctors surgery being told I just had a tummy bug. It was only when I v outside the surgery which was seen by a nurse did I get rushed to a n e. Thankfully apart from the loss of hearing in 1 ear I had a lucky escape. Please get seen to either way as meningitis can get a lot worse very quickly. Xx

I HIGHLY doubt it's meningitis. Didn't you get the Men-C vaccine? I think they do it in grade six everywhere in Canada. It protects you against bacterial meningitis which is a lot more serious that the viral kind. Also, if it's viral, a lot of times it gets overlooked as the flu and it's rarely troublesome! If your doctor does think it's men. you'll have to go to the ER, he won't diagnose it in his office. Hope you're feeling better!
    Last edited by canadianreject; 10-07-2011 at 08:12 PM.
    "I'd rather cross the line and suffer the consequences, than stare at the line for the rest of my life." <3

I think if it was bacterial meningitis you'd probably be......dead by now. It's true if it is even suspected it is nothing to be played around with. I can't help but think about what happened with your brother's girlfriend that you told us about. Hopefully you can let us know how things are.

Hello, I just wanted to say that I had meningitis when I was in third grade. While I can't remember exactly all of the symptoms, I will tell you this, I had a high fever, and some sort of seizure that made my body so stiff that when my father lifted me out of bed to rush me to the hospital, he says I was stiff as a board. All I remember is waking up in the middle of the night, and trying to roll over to get up, I couldn't move, and the pain was so intense. I started screaming which woke up my parents. I don't know how things have changed since then, but at the time, a spinal tap was needed for a diagnosis. I know everyone says a spinal tap is such horrible pain, but I don't remember it as being that bad. So if it is still necessary for a diagnosis, please let them. I don't remember v* but I had to remain laying down for (I think) 24 hours after wards, and I believe that it has something to do with allowing my spinal fluid to recharge (I don't know how much they took). Please, I know its scary, but if you do have meningitis, please go to the ER. Meningitis is very serious, and I didn't know until I was an adult how close I came to dying. Please go, even if it is to make sure you are not suffering from it.

Could it possibly be strep or mono or flu? Meningitis can be deadly or cause brain damage, you sound like you have a bacterial or viral infection of some kind. The only way to find out is blood work and lab test. I hope you feel better quickly.
    My Jacob makes life beautiful.

How are you feeling now, have they made a diagnosis? About 3 years ago, I had viral meningitis (the less severe one) and my symptoms were similar. They started like the flu and escalated to the point where I had a 103 fever, the worst headache imaginable, and it was also in my neck/back to the point where I couldn't move my head or get up to walk. All they could really do was give me pain meds for the pain it caused in my spine and keep me there til the symptoms went away. I hope it's nothing serious like bacterial meningitis though, keep us updated!

I hope she's okay, as she hasn't been on for awhile

It was viral meningitis + a sinus infection, it sucked pretty badly, but I'm okay now, still sore, still having a lot of issues with my neck being stiff etc but the antibiotics they placed me on seemed to do the trick. Thanks everyone! My fever was 103 when I went to the doctor. It went down after he put me on some meds, thank god.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Att våga är att tappa fotfästet en stund, att inte våga är att förlora sig själv."
    "To dare is to lose your foothold for a moment, to not dare is to lose yourself."

Wow...that had to be a really terrifying experience. A lot of us were really worried about you. I saw where you had posted sometime on Patti or Michelle's thread on Facebook so I thought you were probably still alive at least, maybe just not ready to tell us all about it. Anyway I'm glad you are better now. Do you think it could have been the very same thing your brother's gf had a few weeks earlier?

I'm not quite sure, I think it would make sense, her symptoms sounded like bacterial meningitis, she was way worse off than me, but I'm not sure, whatever it is she's okay now! It was scary. I was in a lot of pain, & I felt so dreadful. I didn't really know what meningitis was before in all honesty, I thought it was some minor thing, but it's actually pretty serious so when I found out, alone, well with my brother but without my mom, I was terrified!

I'm glad your feeling better. I had it, it's awful and I had it so bad I got sick, and now have PTSD for it. It worked out that you had a sinus infection so you could get antibiotics bc they don't give meds for viral anything, bc it doesn't work. Glad you are feeling better!