Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Should I be here?

Hi everyone.

My daughter has v twice tonight, and I am freaking out. I get irrational, snappy, my pulse goes flat out, I cry, I cannot function. I feel like such a bad mother. This has been going on since I had kids. I'm not sure if it's the thought of me getting it, or the lack of control, or both.

I feel so sad that this gets to me and I wish I could be like normal people. I just want to flee my house. I won't sleep tonight, or for a couple of nights waiting to get this.

I know I am being irrational. I've only been sick twice in the last four years. One Sv and one bout of food poisoning (a can of beans). I sterilize everything and even wash my hands in bleach, but only when my kids are sick.

Does it sound like I am emetophobic? If so, what can I do as I am so over feeling like this every time this happens

Default Re: Should I be here?

Yeah, you sound like the typical emetophobic mom. I have a young son and I have a difficult time going to sleep at nights. I'm always listening out for him making sounds like he is going to be sick or not. I get scared when he wakes me up in the night (usually just to lay with me or for water) that he is going to get sick. My son woke up sick all over our house before and I handled it better then I could ever imagine. I don't see myself being that calm again if it were to happen. I wish I had some advice for you, I just realize that our kids are not going to always get sick but we always fear it. I hate wasting sleep away and bringing on premature aging due to this phobia. Hang in there, the unknown is scary but we love our children more then life itself.
    My Jacob makes life beautiful.

Default Re: Should I be here?

Yep, I freak out every time they wake in the night too. Every groan, any noise at all. I have just finished some counselling for anger that's largely to do with fear. It helped me figure out that it was fear causing the anger, but didn't really give me any strategies to deal with the fear.