Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: university

Unhappy university

its been 4 days now that i have stomac pain, but havent v* and no sever d*
    but im not being able to go to university! even when m not even sick... its such a struggle for me! any advices?? i'm ruining my career bcz of this and its taking me so long to finish my major!

Default Re: university

I really hope you feel better soon I also had a hard time when I was having to sit through high school & university classes. What helped me to cope was in the mornings before it was time to leave for class, I would really, really feel my body out. I would try to put my emet aside as much as possible and focus on what I was really feeling. 99% of the time it was all panic n* and I forced myself to go to classes. I traveled about an hour away to school so the drive helped me to relax a bit as well. The two things that helped me the most (aside from cough drops which help with throat n*) was to set little goals for myself. If the class was 11-12 I would tell myself even if you are feeling panicky, you HAVE to try to stay until 11:30. I found that in that time between 11 & 1130 I would calm down to the point where I knew it was just panic, or I would try and get involved in the class/lecture so that it could distract my mind. Second, I always carried a small notebook with me that had many inspirational quotes in it to help me stay positive when I was feeling alone and helpless in a class. Pick out some of your favorites and pull the book out and read it when things are getting tough ! Oh, and sometimes having an "escape plan" out of a room helped me to stay calm, too. I know university is SO hard & so scary for an emet but I know you can do it

I feel like I can't do this anymore I hate going to university! And I can't force myself! I don't know what to do! I can't fail anymore!! Help plzzzzz

I'm in university too, and it's really tough to handle when you're emet.

I actually skipped my two classes today because I couldn't tell if I was hungry or sick, so I panicked and left before class even started. This is my first year at a university away from home, so I get really nervous because if something happens, I will have to deal with it by myself.

I was so excited to transfer to a bigger university this year, but now I am sort of regretting it. It sounds stupid to say, but the building where most of my classes are only has bathrooms on every second floor...not even trash cans!!! So I don't have escape routes, which is what saved me last year. I want to go back to my old school because I had perfect, quick escape routes.

Yes totally understand what u r going through! I skipped so many classes till now that my teachers are telling that if this will continue they are going to dropp me from the courses! I actually came home now because I'm feeling n* and I have a stomach bugg! I don't know what to do or when will this stop... I wish you luck in your uni life!