Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Red face Do you feel like this too?

I feel since I haven't v* in 10 years that it's just a matter of time before I do.. When Im feeling sick I instantly start thinking, "omg, this is it. It's going to happen!" lol! Im always thinking that it's my time, you can't keep going on without v* forever! Idk, I just want to know if anyone else feels this way!
    "We have to learn to be our own best friends because we fall too easily into the trap of being our own worst enemies."

Default Re: Do you feel like this too?

i feel this way! i havent V in 12 years and i think this all the time. i feel like every year i go through the same thing,..fearing this is going to be the year i get sick. I dont know how i kept going so long...but i have! and it would be awesome if i could go forever like this...:P

I feel the exact same! Hopefully I'll make it to the 10year plus, it's been 3years since I was last sick, before that it was 9 and a half years. Every day I'm terrified and very aware that I'm due to be sick any day..

i'm like that too. i go "this time its gonna happen! its been to long it was bound to happen soon!" and spazz out every night even though usually (oh god pleaaaaaase dont let me be jinxing this) i dont v*.

Someone on this site once told me that we are not "due" to get sick...people have gone all kinds of lengths. I know the superstition gets to you, it does to me too. But I try to remember that there is no such thing as being due...keep healthy everyone!!

I was sick last year before that it was about 1970. I was ten and now i'm 51.

I used to feel that way too. It's been about 12 years for me but I've had d*h* episodes both this year and in 2009..I came pretty damn close to it happening but it never did? There's definately hope out there and a lot of emets get through things that would normally make other people v*.

...Wow, I did not know that. What kinds of things to emetophobic people get through that others do not?

That, strangely, is an incredibly comforting thought though.

It's so strange! It's like, us emets have developed ways to keep us from v* for so long! It's interesting that's for sure! I have come really close but just, haven't. I personally feel that I have breathing and swallowing techniques that get me through.. like everytime I'm feeling n* I swallow a lot more often.. idk why, I just do!

another question I have, for those of you who are still suffering but have v* recently.. I feel like, if I could just v* my fear would be gone. Like, I would finally see that it wasn't that bad. I didn't die and I feel like I would be so proud of myself! But from reading this, I see that people who still v* still suffer from this annoying fear! It worries me that I'll never get over this!
    "We have to learn to be our own best friends because we fall too easily into the trap of being our own worst enemies."

That's me CrazyGirl! I don't think I will be better after...I think it will just remind me of how horrible it is and will scar me once again...but I am comforted by the thought that there is no due time for any of us. Keep on keeping on!!

Andee, i was sick last year, it did make my fear worse but not because it was bad, it actually only lasts a second so i try to tell my brain that it wasn't bad at all but i can't get it to sink in. It's your panic that is bad not the act itself.

I feel the exact same way. I can psych myself into thinking this is 'the moment'... at any moment. It doesn't help that this way of thinking gives me anxiety and then my anxiety, in turn, makes me feel nauseous so then I can't decipher if I'm actually sick or if it's just my anxiety talking...

i feel the exact same way ive had this phobia since i was ten thats the last time i *v'd ad im now 16, and every single year im scared its gonna get me because som of my friedns get it and its like why am i not the one getting it, i know this sounds crazy but everyday i pray i will never *v espcially from a *sv... i know thats weird im really just lost and need someone to talk to tat feels the same way i joined yesterday so guys please message me or add me i feel so alone

I was sick last year, I think with the flu or just a sv. It started in the middle of the night and was gone by mid morning. At not one point did I feel scared, but my fear is still here. At least now I know what it feels like before it happens - that was what I worried about before..

Luckily, it should take another 5 years or so for me to v again, which is great, because I can hopefully finish school without it happening xD But no, you technically could go your whole life without v*ing.

Explanation:
    If it had been 10 years since you v*ed, and you were... At a buffet, but you decided not to eat because of your fear, then fair enough. If you HAD eaten, and you were sick, then it would be another 10 years before you were sick, or whatever.
    I hope that makes sense xD That's how I see it.

I feel exactly the same way! Last year, my whole family came down with a sv* including me and I was the only one not to v* (and I know it definitely was a sv* because I came down with it first and had intesne nausea and d*). But sometimes you just have to remind yourself that the probability you will v* is the same as it is any year. Even if you had v*'d a year ago, it would make no difference and you would still be as likely to v* now, so in no way do you become 'due'.
    Susie

Yup, me too, I nearly threw up last Tuesday night which was due to a mild sv which my son has nowbut i managed to fight it again, went to my doc today to spill all, I came clean about my phobia so hopefully I am on the road to help, having 2 young kids make it wayyyyy worse

I feel like I'm 'due'. It's horrible and makes everything so much worse.

I do wonder if going to be s* would make it all go away. When my other half was here, I nearly did go to make myself s* to 'purge myself of my past' (I wanted to expel some trauma from my teenage years, and at that point v* seemed like it would help expel the hurt I was feeling). He told me it was a bad idea though.

Another thing I can't get over is the fact that my guy was s* on the 20th of September (he was at a gig, and had a lot to drink). I remember asking him when he was last s*, and that answer... I dunno. It just seems so weird to me. He's still alive, and he's calm about it, and he's still happy and healthy. It's just bizarre to me.

But in other news, my 86-year-old grandmother hasn't been s* since she was... well she said she 'might have been when she was a little girl', but she certainly hasn't been since the age of 10. And she's had 3 kids! I hope her good luck/genetics/whatever are passed onto me!

I honestly feel like I am not afraid of v* but at the same time, I am. It's hard to explain but I am sure one of you feel the same way.. Like if it came down to it, I know I'd be able to and I would be fine but it's just the moments leading up to it that freak me out! If I could just get it done and over with, I would be better off but my body just wont allow it. Just as long as the next time I get sick it's not because of noro or food poisoning because of the violence of it all.

I feel the exact same way. I'm starting to become a homebody, and I am terrified of long car drives. My hands are cracked because I wash them so much.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyGirl1123 View Post
    I honestly feel like I am not afraid of v* but at the same time, I am. It's hard to explain but I am sure one of you feel the same way.. Like if it came down to it, I know I'd be able to and I would be fine but it's just the moments leading up to it that freak me out! If I could just get it done and over with, I would be better off but my body just wont allow it. Just as long as the next time I get sick it's not because of noro or food poisoning because of the violence of it all.
    I completely agree! I always tell my dad and my therapist that the worst part of v* is the waiting, the nausea, and the uncertainty of if and when it will happen. I would be totally fine with v* (well not totally fine, but I'd be so much less afraid) if I could control when I v*ed or if we had a little sensor that was like, "you will definitely v* in 10 mins, get out of here".
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

I completely agree with you, Spilled Milk. I haven't v*d in so long that the anticipation and not really knowing what it will be like is unbearable. I get especially nervous during long car rides, which are very frequent now that I left for college!