Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default What do I do??? Opinions please!

Hi Everyone,
    Well, I have been having a hard time with working...I left my job in Aug. I was a med. assistant in the employee health dept. at a hospital. It was great on one hand, good hours, nice supervisor. But a few coworkers were b!tchy and I wasn't doing what I wanted exactly. I think my anxiety got the best of me and made me worry about the coworkers, which affected me doing the job.
    ANYWAY, I love the medical field but because of this fear and anxiety, I am finding it difficult. So now I am wondering if I should continue to find something "medical," or do something different and resign myself to the fact that I can't do it because I have "anxiety issues."
    Recently, I went on 2 interviews, at LL Bean for seasonal work (with the chance of permanent job) and at Munson's chocolates. Munson's sounds nice because the hours are during school (3 days), a nice environment with nice mature people, I think, and working with chocolate!! Less stress...
    And I don't want to sound like a jerk here, but I feel like I am "reduced" to working these jobs because I can't handle other jobs in my field (please, no one take offense). I don't know if I will be happy doing something else...I'm just not sure about anything right now, and I have been nervous and obsessing about this whole thing. Thankfully it's not really for money because we are okay with hubby's job. I need to notify these people by Monday or Tuesday the latest.
    What do you all think? I am going crazy thinking so much....I still definitely have anxiety issues.
    Please give opinions...thank you.

Default Re: What do I do??? Opinions please!

You gave it a shot in the medical field, if you couldn't handle being a medical assistant because of your anxiety then perhaps it's not for you. I am going to nursing school and I wonder everyday if I'm going to handle it. I am very afraid to go through clinical only to discover I can't handle it. Trial and error, you don't know what you can handle until you try first. Maybe if school is an option for you or you have enough experience you could try medical receptionist? You have to have general knowledge of the medical field along with customer service skills, computer skills ect. There are other options out there for medical assisting, you don't have to work in such a dramatic place like a hospital or health department. There are many small quiet doctor's office settings, home health care, medical spas ect. I think if you feel more comfortable working at a retail shop there is nothing wrong with that, each job is going to have its pros and cons. Maybe you should take the job until you can find another job in the medical field that is more comforting to you. There is no need to rush, any job you take will be a learning experience and will test your strength. Good luck, let us know which way you decide to go!
    My Jacob makes life beautiful.

Hi there!

I don't post very much, but when I joined this site years ago it was because my emet was seriously affecting my job as a flight attendant...which I absolutely love. I had to literally force myself to go to work...and I'd spend the whole flight worrying and panicking and then I'd spend my days off worrying and panicking about going BACK to work. It was miserable. And I was a total mess.

But somehow (I think with my Lexapro and Ativan and alot of exposure) I managed to work through it...and I am still working as a flight attendant today. I still have my panicky moments of course, but I'm definitely not where I was when I first came on this site.

If it is something you absolutely LOVE to do you should find a way to do it, because you might just regret it later on. I quit my first airline over this and hated myself for it, so I ended up flying for another one. I'm not to knowledgeable on the medical field but is there maybe a different place you can work? Something a little less stressful or anything?

And don't ever limit yourself on what you can do...I know ALL of us are alot stronger than we think.

Good luck to you!

Aww...thank you both. Funny Christianne, I am taking Lexapro and Ativan also. That's great that you went back. Yes, I thought of other things like medical receptionist, but I'm not too crazy about administrative stuff. I like the patients but...soooo frustrating!

Hi andee! I know how scary it can be to work in the medical field but I think that you definitely can do it. I've worked in a nursing home for 2 years but just 2 months ago started the hands on patient care. There will definitely be some things that test your fear but I believe that they can help to make you stronger! If it's something you really enjoy doing I'd say just do your best and keep going, you'll feel so accomplished at the end of the day!

Well, after seeing an infomercial on anxiety and depression, I realize that I still have elements of both which hold me back. I also saw my therapist. She thought the Munson's job sounded right for me.

Now my problem is the hours are 3 days a week from 8 am to 3 pm. I get nervous when I have to stay at work for a long time, so this is bothering me a little. I always think what if I get nervous or don't feel well? How can I leave? I can't just keep leaving. etc.

My therapist says we will have to work on that, and that those are not a lot of hours. I realize that but it still kind of scares me. How do you all deal with your work hours and anxiety?? Thanks.