Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Flying!!

Exclamation Flying!!

Me and my family have been planning a trip to disneyland for the last year, and we are due to leave in 2 weeks and i am freaking out! I absolutly HATE flying, I have been dreading this trip ever since we started planning it because of it. I should be excited to be going to "the happiest place on earth" with my kids but instead can't wait till it's all over I have flown lot's in the past and gotten through it but this time with my kids my anxiety is through the roof in fear that i cant "freak out" on the plane in front of them!!! In the past it seems it was better because my anxiety wasn't as bad back then but has now resurfaced in the last yr and a half and would rather crawl to my destination than get on a plane. I recently last june went on a girls trip with my gf and we flew, i was LOSING it the entire time, and it was only a ONE hour flight!! I completely embaressed myself, thank goodness she knows what i'm like My anxiety comes from the fact that i hate the way my tummy feels when flying, i don't tend to eat beforehand because of my nerves and my already upset stomache, so i have also always taken gravol as precaution and still feel like crap!! My obvious fear is being sick on the plane, how it just makes me feel in general between the bumps from the plane and my anxious and empty tummy with nothing but gravol in it, but my next fear is that people DO get airsick so i'm scared of other people getting sick!!! And what would be even worse is if my kids were sick!! I don't know how i would deal with that!! I have been on a plane where someone did get sick, i didn't hear it but smelled it and seen some people shifting around....it was an absolute moment of terror for me as we were still an hr an half away from landing!!! I just don't how i'm going to deal with this flight, it is only 3 hrs which to some is nothing,for some, for me...absolute hell I have talked to alot of people who say that when they have taken gravol it makes them feel worse?? So now i'm wondering if it's been the gravol all along that has made me think that i'm airsick!!??? Maybe i would be fine, if not better if i just didn't take it at all!? But then the other part of my head says...maybe how i feel on gravol...is better than i'd be without!? because i have never tried without it and i'm terrified to try!!! so how will i ever know if it's the cause of my sick tummy or if it'd be worse if i didn't!! aaghh, this is my thought process for a good portion of my days , just trying to psych myself up to do this I am also thinking maybe the ginger gravol would be all that i need?? I'm not sure how effective that would be either.....i know that my anxiety is probly a huge contributer to my tummy on the plane, i get sweaty palms just thinking about it....n* too I do have my husband and my mom coming also and my mom is usually able to "ground" me so that's good but i'm just curious if anyone has tried the ginger gravol or has any ideas of how i can get through this smoothly for my kids sake!!??

Default Re: Flying!!

aorry you're having such a hard time with something that really should be so much fun. was the drmamine you took the drowsy formula? that's the kind i take and it makes me really sleepy.....i'm wondering if you took the non-drowsy formula and it make you even more jittery? also, maybe you could talk to your dr. before you trip and express your anxiety and issues about flying with him and he can give you something stronger for the trip......since you mom and husband will be with you to watch over the children and you in case you get drowsy enough to go to sleep.....just a thought.

i hope all goes well for you and that everyone has a fantastic time........

also those sea band bracelets might be worth checking out also.....
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yes it is the kind that makes you drowsy , and normally those types of things knock me right out , which is why i thought it would work so good for me, but i think my anxiety exceeds the drowsiness and instead i end up feeling very "out of it" and still stressed. I'm hoping maybe it's the gravol on an anxious empty stomache that makes it all worse?? maybe i shoud try eating crackers or toast beforehand.....ugh i dont know, i go over and over and over this in my head so many times a day i feel like i'm going crazy! I even woke up thinking about it this morning! I think i will look into the wrist bands too, thank you

none of those over-the-counter anti-sickness pills work for me with airsickness. I have to get a prescription patch from my doctor an put it behind my ear. Not sure if they have that in the UK...it definitely works though! Good luck!

Hi! I'm new here and saw your post and have also had this same fear. I didn't get on a plane until about 3 years ago because I was so terrified. I get motion sick so I had the same fears as you about flying. I was doing research online and found out about this medication called Scopace, which apparently they give the people at NASA when they're training so they don't get sick. That gave me some confidence in it's strength, so I asked my doctor and got some to try for my first time flying. The side effects made me a little sleepy and dizzy, but I'll take just about anything over getting stomach sick! I made it there and back (I also flew to LA but it was just an hour for me), and then to Seattle, which was about 2 and a half hours a year later and loved the flying experience! I too worry about others on the plane, and HATE the feeling of taking off, but other than that, my anxiety subsided with this medicine. Maybe your doc will give you some to try?? Good luck and I will say a prayer for you to make it there worry free