Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default How long to wait to eat after being sick?

So i came down with a sv* last night but to be fair it was quite a tame one, i threw my guts up about midnight and had a few d* episodes up until about 5:30am.

It's now 3:30pm and about 3 hours ago i had a solid bowel movement. I don't feel to sick now just really rough, headache and wiped out. Would it be ok to try some dry toast and lemonade now? I've been sipping on water since early hours of this morning but feel i need something sweet or more filling?

Advice please?

Default Re: How long to wait to eat after being sick?

Look up the BRAT diet and follow it closely. I do 5-7 days Of it as gastro causes a lot Inflamation and irritation

So sorry you were sick, James. I think you're pretty strong, because I would not be able to call anything that caused pukage "tame."

I agree with Jenn about the BRAT diet, but you certainly don't need to stick with it for 5-7 days. Probably just for today.

And I advise against lemonade -- that acidity might not be good for your stomach right now.

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I don't know if what you had really was a stomach virus... I would think you would have been sick more frequently but I could be wrong. I think the fact you are even wanting something more filling and have somewhat of an appetite for something sweet means you are probably okay and maybe just ate something that didn't agree with you which made you throw up. If you want to try lemonade i say go for it and if you get sick again then you'll know you aren't well yet. I bet you will be okay though.

Quote Originally Posted by coolpk2003 View Post
    I don't know if what you had really was a stomach virus... I would think you would have been sick more frequently but I could be wrong. I think the fact you are even wanting something more filling and have somewhat of an appetite for something sweet means you are probably okay and maybe just ate something that didn't agree with you which made you throw up. If you want to try lemonade i say go for it and if you get sick again then you'll know you aren't well yet. I bet you will be okay though.

you can have the sv and only V once. i see you guys post stuff like this alot, maybe to calm your own fears? tis the season for the V bug. not everything is food poisoning.

James,

First of all, welcome back although I'm sad to see you back under bad circumstances. I was around when you were around under your other username I think. I was here from 2004 to 2007 and then returned this summer. What was your old username?

As for eating, last time I had a stomach bug I threw up/had d* periodically from 10 pm to about 3 or 4 am before falling asleep. During that time I had only water/gatorade. I slept till 1 and still felt a bit weak, but I slept for a few more hours and was able to eat some broth later that night. The next day I didn't feel nauseous anymore, but I still stuck to broth and rice. By the next day I was back to eating whatever I wanted.

I don't know if this helps at all, but it might be a good general timeline for you. My rule is if you feel hungry, try something very light in the realm of the BRAT diet or broth. If you keep that down and feel more hungry, try more. I would keep that up for at least a day, and then go for regular food. If that makes you feel worse, then switch back to a mild diet!
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer2012 View Post
    you can have the sv and only V once. i see you guys post stuff like this alot, maybe to calm your own fears? tis the season for the V bug. not everything is food poisoning.
    I agree. You can even have a sv and not v once. I was sick in January, woke up at about 2 a.m. extremely nauseated, headache, weak, loose bm and reched one time. Had a fever and fell back asleep. Had d* so severe the next morning I went to my doctor because it scared me. They did a fecal test and confirmed noro. By about noon I thought I was okay but still followed the BRAT diet b/c I tried some coffee and it went right through me (test hadn't come back yet.) Once I retched, I wasn't nauseated any longer, just scared out of my mind!
    I'm glad you are feeling better!

Quote Originally Posted by kristinak View Post
    Once I retched, I wasn't nauseated any longer, just scared out of my mind!
    I'm glad you are feeling better!
    Kristina, you make an interesting point. A lot of times when people vomit, there isn't any real need to expel anything. The body just gets nauseated to the point where vomiting is the only thing that can make the nausea go away. Imagine that a vomiting switch in the brain gets set to ON.

Sometimes, you can fool the body into thinking you vomited when you didn't. Retching doesn't eliminate anything from the body, but it can turn the vomiting switch to OFF. Gagging voluntarily can also do the same thing. If you're nauseated and gag a little in your throat, you can fool the body into thinking you're vomiting and the vomiting switch gets turned to OFF at least for a few minutes, and your nausea goes away. (But be careful you don't gag too intensely and set off true vomiting.)

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see

Quote Originally Posted by gumdropper1 View Post
    Kristina, you make an interesting point. A lot of times when people vomit, there isn't any real need to expel anything. The body just gets nauseated to the point where vomiting is the only thing that can make the nausea go away. Imagine that a vomiting switch in the brain gets set to ON.

Sometimes, you can fool the body into thinking you vomited when you didn't. Retching doesn't eliminate anything from the body, but it can turn the vomiting switch to OFF. Gagging voluntarily can also do the same thing. If you're nauseated and gag a little in your throat, you can fool the body into thinking you're vomiting and the vomiting switch gets turned to OFF at least for a few minutes, and your nausea goes away. (But be careful you don't gag too intensely and set off true vomiting.)

Doug
    Sorry I'm so late to this but after reading Doug's reply it's strangely familiar. He's absolutely right because every morning I wake up with true nausea and it's terrible but eventually my body gags/dry heaves and it usually goes away. Just today at work I was feeling terrible and I couldn't take it anymore I went into the bathroom and gagged a few times and within 5 minutes I felt better. Not to say that it always works because sometimes I do actually vomit afterwards but most of the time it does help. Funny how that works..