Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default How do you get people to understand?

It's just a question that's on my mind.
    I have teachers who I can talk to about my anxiety, but they obviously have no clue just how scared I am of being sick. I wish I had somebody to talk to other than my Mum who absolutely understood me?
    How do you guys (if you do) explain your fear to other people? Do you have anyone you can talk to?

Claire x

Default Re: How do you get people to understand?

I'm a teacher and I would like to think that we would all try to understand you, but that might not be the case. If you want them to know about it print off information, the faq section on this website is great, they might, having read it, read more into it and understand a little better. I recently told my other half, although I couldn't bring myself to say the words, I just said I think I know whats wrong and showed him the website.

Thanks Heather, that's great advice, I'll probably do that.
    I know that the teachers understand me in a way - I run out of quite a few lessons and they know why. But.. Ah it's hard to explain. I wish they knew how terrified I was. Only other emets truly understand! Why aren't you my teacher? ^_^

It is a difficult concept to try and get someone to understand who has never experienced it. I have told my boyfriend about it and I have had panic attacks in his arms a few times. He still does not really understand it, but he tries his very best to be supportive and he is wonderful. My father has researched it because he wants to understand it, although like my bf, he is having a difficult time. I love both those men and I do not know where I'd be without them in my life. I guess my point being here...as long as you have people who are supportive, that's really all that matters. Phobias are irrational after all. One is not really supposed to understand them because they are indeed irrational, although emets must battle their phobia daily. If you ever need anyone to talk to, you can always pm me. I am always willing to help people out.
    -Kay

Also have them read the wikipedia on emetophobia. After reading that, my boyfriend really began to see that I wasn't making this up. It's a pretty good source of information.
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!