Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Unhappy People just don't understand my fear.

I have always had a fear of being around vomit (though I am not afraid of vomiting myself). It's really embarrassing, because I can't go to carnivals and places with spinny rides because of the chances someone will throw up. I also don't watch a lot of different television shows (mostly medical shows, comedy shows, and other shows where vomit is common). I can't watch movies by myself unless it has no vomiting in it, or a friend told me exactly where the vomiting is so I can close my eyes and plug my ears. Of course, all of this is an issue, but a problem that I have had to face lately is the lack of understanding from my friends and family. They get angry when I do everything I can to avoid being in the situation where someone vomits. They also make fun of me, and sometimes pretend to vomit around me. I've tried telling them to stop, but they don't listen. Have you guys had similar experiences with the people around you? It's just stressin' me out

Default Re: People just don't understand my fear.

I think alot of us on here have come accross people who are not supportive or even take the mickey out of us, and I think it's due to emetophobia coming under the category of being a bit 'odd' unlike more commonly accepted phobias such as heighs, flying and spiders etc.

I'm not sure of the reasons for this, two theories i have are that a) it's not very well heard of and b) no one likes being sick so gthey don't quite understand the severity of it and think we are just beingb dramatic saying it is a phobia.

I've learnt to rely on no one for support about this in real life apart from fellow emets and tbh i don't tell people about it unless i have to or I know they are mature enough not to do stupid things around me.

I also think it is down to ourselves ro work on not avoiding places, i was the same at one point when i waa alot younger and would hold my breath walking round the shops etc but after joining here and reading all the info sections on how to avoid catching sickness bugs realised alot of the things i did were unecessary and while i still have the phobia live a pretty normal life until confronted with the possibility of being sick or someone close to me being sick, which is when i have a meltdown and luckily that is not very often.

It must be really hard being afraid of others being sick no matter what the reason, my main fear is of ME being sick so if i know for sure someone elses vomiting is non catchy such as at a fair or on TV it's not quite so bad.

All I can say is, don't let people see they are upsetting you when theyu do stupid things as it onlhy encourages them, hard as it is, laugh it off and they will soon lose interest in doing it to you, and come on here for help and advice off us xx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Default Re: People just don't understand my fear.

my wife isn't very supportive of it but then again shes bipolar so she just deals with it.