Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Help :(

Unhappy Help :(

So I was in the changing rooms in Topshop waiting for my girlfriend to try on an outfit, and I was standing next to the changing rooms assistant. She seemed quite friendly, but after abut 5 minutes she ran out into the shop, whispered something to a colleague and then ran through the door into the staffroom. The girl she spoke to then came and took her place in the changing rooms. Now this could just be me being paranoid, but it seemed like she was running to v*. She didn't have her phone on her or anything, so it wasn't like she had a bad call or something...I'm absolutely terrified now, and know I'll send the next 48 hours driving myself crazy with fear - am I being irrational?? I washed my hands as soon as we left the shop, as did my girlfriend, and we made sure we didn't touch anything we touched before once our hands were clean. Someone please give me some advice, this is just awful

Thanks in advance guys x

Default Re: Help :(

I totally understand how you feel. We all do. I think that you took great precautions and washed your hands well etc. That is all really good and should make you feel more at ease. I don't mean to scare you more, and I honestly hope that I don't (that's not my objective), but my Dad always told me that there are always germs going around. People often say in the winter people get sick more, which is true, but there are germs everywhere, all the time. I am trying to put you at ease, because think how many times you have been to the mall, or on a bus etc. Surely you would have come in contact with someone in the very same way that you did today, but you didn't even know it, so you didn't get worried. What I'm trying to say is, your body is very capable of helping you out here, and you might not have even had enough contact with the woman, so don't work yourself about it too much.
    There are plenty of reasons why she could have run out, too! Maybe she needed to make a phone call, or maybe she drank a lot of water and had to go!, maybe her shift was over? Trust yourself, you are very capable of turning the bad thoughts around. Go for a run, or take a nice walk. Breathe in the air and surround yourself with those who love you. I hope I helped, and if I made you more paranoid I am sincerely sorry, but what I told you, you already knew anyway, right?
    I really empathise with you and I hope your anxiety will fade and the next 24 hours will be nicer than you think. All the best. If you are really worried, you can email me or whatever. X

Thank you for your message - touch wood, I seem to be OK so far....And you're right about gemrs being around all the time; I was thinking to myself that had I gone into the changing rooms 10 minutes earlier I would never have seen the girl running out, so would not have had any specific reason to panic. It's funny, because we fear something we see/hear about so much more than something we haven't been exposed to (but could well have happened) - although chances are, our exposure to both things is entirely equal, we just don't realise it!

Scary, but I suppose it's a little comforting when something bad DOES happen

x

hey, I know how you feel. I know emetophobia does lead us to overthink every situation and causes us to think irrational thoughts. The lady could have run out for several other reasons. Try to keep yourself occupied by doing things to keep your mind off of it and try to relax.

I hope you are feeling much better now I'm sure you will be fine. x