Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Commercial on TV

I'm a huge Friends fan, and Nick has been showing 2 hours nightly starting at 11. Well tonight a commercial came on with a girl wasted walking into a bathroom. I happed to be busy and heard her v*. A few moments later it happens again. Now I couldn't bring myself to watch it happen. However the noise was enough for me. I can't watch this channel safely any longer. I never know if it's going to show up. I'm thinking about writing an email. I wish I knew who produced the ad. It really bothered me.

Default Re: Commercial on TV

It was just an ad for being above the influence. I saw it the other night too. Although the sound kinda grossed me out, it could have been worse. I think it is a good idea that they have those commercials though. Drug/alcohol users are becoming younger and younger now. I think it's smart to advertise the terrible effects it has on people who do it. I do think it's taking it a bit far writing an email and not letting yourself watch the channel anymore. You have to try and stop the avoidance behavior. Vomit is just something we are exposed to and we will never be able to run away from it. Running from your fear and limiting yourself to what you can do/watch/hear is only going to make it worse. I am sure this is not the first time you have heard that but I wish the best for you. If you need to talk, you can pm me anytime.

Yea, i just saw this commercial the other day, however there is no V in the commercial. Shes just V-ing up all her possesions and trophies (life basically). I still dont like the commercial even with that said, its still kinda triggering.

V in movies or commercials never really bothered me.

I mute the TV during adverts

I saw a commercial for Tosh.0 awhile back (imagine that..) and they actually showed v* in the commercial! I was kind of stunned, I didn't know they could do that. I was in a common room full of other people who stared at me when I panicked. Not a great moment. But now, in addition to tv shows and movies, I'm wary of commercials..

TV v* doesn't usually bother me because I know it's fake. Anyway it's not the retching that bothers me it's the splattering sound.

I think it's distasteful to show vomit in commercials, not just because I'm phobic, but because many people eat while watching TV. At least Funny Home Videos used to give warnings to look away.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may find these links helpful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

In Australia over the past few years we have had the most terrifying alcohol related ad I could ever imagine. As soon as it starts it's a zoomed in shot of the toilet bowl with watery v* in it, and it's like we're looking through the drunks eyes, and the camera sways like he is dizzy, and you hear a voice of a little girl who would be the daughter of the drunk guy says something like "daddy are you okay" and he looks up to her and she's standing there confused and worried.

Words cannot describe how awful this ad is for an emet, and they would play it generally later at night but quite a few times it appeared in primetime tv, and even in morning tv! I have never seen the ad in full because I (true story) duck for literal cover every time it comes on because 1. it is terrifying to watch, and 2. he moans so I can't listen to it!

I would have to mute ads, or put it on another channel, or walk away in ads because you never had ANY warning of when it would come on. It would eventually stop being played for a couple months and I would get back to normal watching ads and then it would just unexpectedly be put back on again out of nowhere! I haven't seen it for over a year I think now so here's hoping they've scrapped it for good. It's actually vile for even a non emet to be sitting there eating dinner and it come on like that. I know it's for impact blah blah blah but hell, never seen anything this graphic on telly before.

THE WORST.

Quote Originally Posted by monkey_puzzle View Post
    In Australia over the past few years we have had the most terrifying alcohol related ad I could ever imagine. As soon as it starts it's a zoomed in shot of the toilet bowl with watery v* in it, and it's like we're looking through the drunks eyes, and the camera sways like he is dizzy, and you hear a voice of a little girl who would be the daughter of the drunk guy says something like "daddy are you okay" and he looks up to her and she's standing there confused and worried.

Words cannot describe how awful this ad is for an emet, and they would play it generally later at night but quite a few times it appeared in primetime tv, and even in morning tv! I have never seen the ad in full because I (true story) duck for literal cover every time it comes on because 1. it is terrifying to watch, and 2. he moans so I can't listen to it!

I would have to mute ads, or put it on another channel, or walk away in ads because you never had ANY warning of when it would come on. It would eventually stop being played for a couple months and I would get back to normal watching ads and then it would just unexpectedly be put back on again out of nowhere! I haven't seen it for over a year I think now so here's hoping they've scrapped it for good. It's actually vile for even a non emet to be sitting there eating dinner and it come on like that. I know it's for impact blah blah blah but hell, never seen anything this graphic on telly before.

THE WORST.
    I remember that add. I have to admit even though I'm usually ok with milder add v* scenes this one was way too much. I have to say it was the most pointless add aver cos everyone changed the channel when it came on because it was just disgusting!