Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Scared of current travel plans

Hey everyone. I've had emet since I was 10 years old, and I'm turning 27 soon. The thing about my emet is that it makes me feel physically ill at least once a week (almost like clockwork) and I can feel nauseous from one day to even up to almost two weeks. My weight goes up and down from 99lbs-107lbs (I'm 5'2) and I'm just so sick and tired of this. The past year I have devoted most of my time trying to get rid of this crappy, horrible vicious cycle. I haven't had a job since December of last year due to feeling ILL all the time. I have HORRIBLE, severe anxiety because of it but I always try to keep a positive mind. I have my moments where I break down, but I have the ability to pick myself up again.

Towards the end of September of this year, my wonderful parents paid for me to try out this program which I found online called change that is right now, and it has helped a tiny bit, but nothing spectacular. My mind likes to get the best of me therefor it's hard to let go of my usual thought patterns and I still have the horrible feelings of being ill. I especially get that feeling when I'm not in my "comfort zone" or am around other people.

Here's the issue I am having. My boyfriend and I are going clear across the country for 6 days and I am freaking out. I'm scared of being on a plane and having this horrible sick feeling and having the worst experience while I'm there. Yesterday I started taking effexor 37.5mg and I've been extremely nauseous. The first 10 hours on the pill I was fine, then BAM. I got up and felt like I was going to be sick. I'm trying to hard to try to figure out how to be calm and defeat this sick feeling before my trip so it's not ruined for myself and my boyfriend. I have a month before we leave and every day I get closer, the more anxiety I get. I'm scared this medication is bad and I should not take it because of the horror stories I hear when trying to get off the medication... I'm just a complete mess and I'm trying to keep positive, but having lived with this for SO long, I wonder if I'll ever be able to beat this. I have hope, but am scared not knowing when?

Also, does anyone have any advice they can give me about travel? Thanks for reading.

Default Re: Scared of current travel plans

i always get really anxious about trips also......but they always end up being lots of fun.....too busy for the emet thoughts take distractions for the plane.....ipod....dvd player.....puzzle books, magazines, etc. you might also want to take dramamine before you go to the airport.......it totally relaxes you....dont get the non drowsy formula.

i've never taken effexor....so can't help you there....i'm on prozac and know that it takes a few weeks for it to start really working....

does your boyfriend know about your emet? if so i'm sure he can help during the trip if you need it.....but i'm sure you'll be just fine
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.