Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question Therapy - advice??

So basically I haven't been to a CBT session since the end of June. At first I had to cancel my session because work forgot I can't do fridays, then he had to cancel the next session but then I was going on two holidays in a row so I said I'd ring him when I got back to rearrange, which I did. But whenever I ring, I just get through to a secretary who says they'll get him to ring me back, which he never does!! So I've given up ringing now and I've just been 'going it alone' for the past few months..

But now I don't know what to do..! Although my emet isn't getting any worse, it's not getting any better either and my OCD has taken a bit of a weird turn and now I can't stop counting things :S

I talked to my therapist about that in my last session and he just said 'try to do things the wrong number of times to show that nothing bad happens' but that didn't really help at all, because I'm still counting, regardless of how many times I do things.

So now I don't know what to do; the only therapy I get on the NHS is CBT with that guy, but he is soo unreliable and even in the actual sessions he never really seems to understand what I'm trying to say..! But I don't want to let my OCD get to the stage where I can't leave the house without turning the lights on and off and opening and closing the doors a certain number of times...!

I spoke to my doctor about it briefly when I went for my pill but he just said to try and get back in contact with my original therapist and I didn't wanna say I don't like him :\ My boyfriend's sister said I should try hypnotherapy because it worked for her fear of spiders but the sessions are soo expensive and I don't even really know what the success rate is for this sort of phobia...? I emailed the local hypnotherapy company but they just gave me a really non-descript email about how everyone is different and they can't say how many sessions I'd need or how effective it'd be without knowing me :\

Does anyone have any experience with hypnotherapy, or any other suggestions??
    Sorry the post is so long, got a bit carried away... XD
    "One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar" - Helen Keller

Default Re: Therapy - advice??

I did Hypnotherapy and was lucky to stumble upon an amazing guy who was able to take me from my lowest low to where I am now in just three sessions. He told me straight up at the beginning he only thought it would take three, and while I'm not cured, I'm very happy with my recovery.

I was scared to leave my house, and right after therapy I was able to watch it on TV, hear others do it, and do it myself. I haven't seen anyone in real life do it, so I can't say if I'm cured completely, but I know thinking of it just disgusts me, doesn't make me anxious.

I think you should E-Mail a bunch of different hypnotherapists, see if you can find one you like. Mine, Bob Roberts, was the only therapist to E-Mail me back asking how long I had the phobia, and other questions that let me know he was interested in helping me. All the others were automatic generated ones. I'm not saying that the auto replies are from bad therapists, I was just able to connect with mine immediately, and trust is a big deal with hypnosis.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may find these links helpful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Default Re: Therapy - advice??

Thank you for the advice, I think I will start looking into hypnotherapists in my area.. The guy that I emailed did seem nice enough, he just said more about emet and ocd (that I obviously aready knew lol) than the actual therapy!

I'm glad to hear yours was a success, I hope I can find someone that great!
    "One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar" - Helen Keller