Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default I feel like a terrible person :(

I've struggled with emet since I was 2 but somehow managed to survive. Five months ago my 3 year old son came to live with me full time. I tried not to think about it but I knew the inevitable would happen and two days ago it did. He became ill in front of me and it was all I could do to not pass out. Luckily my dad was there. I don't know if I could have handled it alone. I haven't eaten in two days simply because my nerves are shot. Even though I know he is fine I'm still scared to be around him.

I feel terrible. I feel like an awful parent. I can't take care of my kid when he feels bad. I have to do something. I can't live like this

Thanks for listening

Default Re: I feel like a terrible person :(

don't feel bad. i have 4 kids so i know what your going through. even though you hate it, as a parent you have to suck it up and help the kid through it. of course i have a wife to help me out too.

I'm a mother of 2 young kids and i also feel i'm a terrible mother when i got so scared and was not there to help my girl when she v* (ran to my husband and got him to help her). Really do not know how to get rid of this phobia.

I understand COMPLETELY....I too was a single mother for many years and could not help my daughter when she was s***. I felt terrible sending her away from the house (usually to her grandmohters house) but I was WORTHLESS to her so I figured I did do what was best for her at the time.

Now she's 16 and won't let me send her away because in her words "I can handle it -- you don't need to be involved". So in a warped kinda way she is a stronger person because of my phobia.

Unfortunately she does have a bad fear of ladybugs and broken glass (not sure the fear is phobic but....).

Anyway my point is that you did what you had to do and sometimes that's all we can do!

Although I'm not a parent I still feel bad every time a child, an elderly person or anyone in general gets sick and I can't help them. I feel like I've failed them as a friend and a supporter, but it takes every piece of my strength and willpower not to pass out or overreact, and even that can sometimes be too hard. I've had a few surprising exceptions along the way where it didn't bother me at all to see/hear/experience someone else vomiting and I was able to help them out. I like to look back on those days whenever I need the strength to carry on and deal with a situation.
    destroy what destroys you

Quote Originally Posted by Blushes View Post
    Although I'm not a parent I still feel bad every time a child, an elderly person or anyone in general gets sick and I can't help them. I feel like I've failed them as a friend and a supporter, but it takes every piece of my strength and willpower not to pass out or overreact, and even that can sometimes be too hard. I've had a few surprising exceptions along the way where it didn't bother me at all to see/hear/experience someone else vomiting and I was able to help them out. I like to look back on those days whenever I need the strength to carry on and deal with a situation.
    I feel the same way. I don't have kids and if I did I don't know if I would be able to handle them v* or not. But I did a first aid course a couple of weeks ago and aI feel bad because I know that in 90% of situations that were presented to us I would walk away for fear of the person being sick in from of me.

Omgosh no don't feel bad, It has happened to me too with my 11 month old baby, she was sick and when she V* I cried hysterycally, I was shacking and trembling. I felt awful that I was afraid of my own baby. Yet I try not be.