Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Who supports you? Who understands you?

I think there's a distinct difference between the two.

While my other half is extremely supportive of me, I don't think he understands my phobia. I know he's gotten over his own fear (I'm not sure if it was a phobia) of needles... but phobias like that are a far cry from emet.

I have a friend who was also supportive and very patient with me, but I have yet to find someone not on this forum who actually understands. Which seems strange to me, because I found two other people who had a phobia of butterflies like I did, but no emetophobia sufferers.

Also, how do you try and explain the phobia to someone? When I've tried, they say 'yes, no one likes being s*' to which I reply, 'yes, but I'm petrified of it and have a totally irrational response'. It always seems to be brushed off.

Default Re: Who supports you? Who understands you?

I don't know if anybody completely understands it. I find the people that understand it the best are people who have anxiety or other phobias of their own, and my parents because they've dealt with me for 21 years. A few of my friends have anxiety issues, and they understand it better than most others.

I have much more support than I have understanding. Most of my friends are very supportive, and so is my family. My boyfriend is extremely supportive, and he understands the basics (that I'm terrified, that I do certain things, that I know it's irrational but it's still real to me) because he has a phobia of flying, but he doesn't get the full extent. For example, he only gets scared when he has to get on a plane, whereas I'm scared all the time and he doesn't understand why I can't be normal until I'm v*ing. I try to explain it to him like...You plan when you will ride a plane. You know exactly when it will happen, so you don't need to be afraid until then. Planes don't just swoop down and pick you up and *poof*, you're flying! Whereas v* can happen anytime anywhere without any warning, and you can't run away from it. He understood that a bit more, as to why I'm afraid all the time.

As per explaining the phobia, what you said above is basically what I say to most people. Usually I stick with "I can't deal with v*". When I explain it to someone important like a friend, usually they see me in action and realize it's worse, or I just leave it at the basics and they usually come in time to understand it's more severe than the average. There's probably a better way lol, but oh well.
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

My boyfriend is in getting his masters in psychology, and is considering specializing in things like this. He has been a Godsend. He once got S* around me, and I started crying, and shaking, and couldn't breathe. That's when he realized that this was serious, and not at all your average fear.

I think the person you are trying to make understand has to see you at your absolute worst to understand how crippling it is

noone really supports me except people on here. ive dealt with it on my own ever since it started. i told my parents about it but they dont understand either. they've probably forgotten all about it. i do see a physycologist and its good to finally talk to someone and it helps a little bit. you guys are lucky you can talk to your patners about it
    No passion so effectively robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.