Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: OCD tendencies

Default OCD tendencies

Well I am sure most of us with this phobia have obsessive compulsive disorders it seems. My worst habit is probably asking my father if I feel warm to the touch or I constantly take my temperature to see if I am running a fever and if it is just a little above normal, I go berserk as far as panicking goes. LOL

Anyways, I fell asleep after I got home from class today and was really exhausted so I took a little nap and when I woke up I took my temp and it was around 99.1 F. I did not/do not even feel sick and am presenting no other symptoms yet I continue to take my temperature to see if it has gone down or up. My usual temp is around 97.7F or so. However, I constantly feel like I am burning up, like my face and belly and back feel really warm to the touch (but only to me, no one else). I am just curious if this is unusual to experience a fever with no other symptoms?

I am also curious if any of you have similar OCD tendencies when it comes to your emetophobia. Any responses are much appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Default Re: OCD tendencies

I suffered quite a lot of fevers in my mid-teens, and they didn't make me v*. Mostly my temperature would feel like it was yo-yoing. I'd be extremely hot and sweaty one moment, then cold and shivery the next. If you do have a fever, just keep hydrated and keep putting painkillers in.

As for OCDs... I don't think I really have any. I mean, I always carry mints and/or a bottle of water, but I don't count things like I used to. I don't think scratching/digging my nails into my skin counts.

Girl, I am the same way! At night especially, my face gets really hot. My cheeks get really pink but my hands and feet get really cold and then I start feeling nauseous. I take my temp all the time too.. I just took mine. I am usually around 98.2 but the last couple of weeks my temp has been low! last week it was 97.7 and today it was 96.9.

besides taking me temp, I also have these OCD tendencies:
    I bounce my leg almost all the time to comfort myself and when I am trying to sleep I move my feet, but ive always done that even before my emet.
    I sleep with my robe under my neck because it's soft and comforts me.
    I swallow, a lot! I dont know why but especially when I am feeling sick I will swallow a lot..
    with the swallowing, I burp too lol It sounds weird but it helps me.

But yeah, you're not the only one. We all have our ticks.. But i am with you with the feeling warm and temp taking!
    "We have to learn to be our own best friends because we fall too easily into the trap of being our own worst enemies."

I DO THE EXACT SAME THINGS!!! I don't ask anyone to feel my forehead as much anymore because I'm in college, but when I live at home I did ALL THE TIME. I think it's better now that I'm away from home. I still check my temperature obsessively though and it's such a bad habit :{

I have OCD too, not terribly but I have my specific rituals. A lot of them relate to going to sleep, like things I do before going to bed. It all relates to what "feels right", if it feels wrong I have to keep doing it till I get it right. I make my father kiss my forehead to see if its the right temperature, haha. I also feel my head with my hand and then the back of my neck, because in my mind if the back of my neck is warmer then I'm fine (don't ask why, I have no idea). I used to take my temperature obsessively but I made myself stop, I do take it obsessively when I feel really sick or get a high result though.
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

I know most emets are very wary and careful when it comes to hand washing and hygiene, but my hand washing has got out of hand now that I am paranoid that my hands are dirty and then I have to wash them immediately. Also everything that I touch etc, I freak about who else has touched this, what germs could be on it etc etc? My hands are also sore and scabby and dry from where I wash too much!

I grind my teeth when I'm really anxious and nauseous too; I think the rhythm soothes me a little. I also have recently got into a habit of going to sleep with those travel sickness bands on. I feel like if I don't then its going to do the opposite and make me s*.

Grrrr!

I take my temp if I feel ill in the slightest but other than that I don't. My OCD tendency in hand washing though.

I have an OCD, its totally sperate to my emet though - i like to tell people I like things done my way because im a perfectionsit, but really its because I know that if I am not the one to do them I'd have a breakdown. My OCD tendecies include, exessive tidying/cleaning, certain routines - I even freak out if something is in the wrong place in the fridge or a toy is in the wrong box. I never have obbsessive temp taking though - I have noticed a lot of people on this forum tend to feel ill or obsess about being ill alot, but I am totally the opposite - I feel that if I dont feel ill then im not ill which is fine by me. Even at times when I have had genuine n* feelings I deny it - it heps me cope I guess, although that probably makes me sound a bit odd lol x

We sound a lot alike, randall3329. I'm also constantly cleaning and can't stand things out of place. I really can't stand clutter of any kind and will get rid if things that are probably still useful, just to not have the clutter! I hate it! I feel like a terrible mom because of it because a house full of kids means some clutter and mess. I feel like I Beverly just enjoy my kids. I'm either worried about them being sick or obsessively cleaning! I don't have the constant sick feeling either. I try to think about feeling sick as little as possible! I am a bit OCD about hand washing/sanitizing. My poor kids have a mess of a mom...

I totally do the same, but what's weird is when I eat fast foods example; Popeyes I tend to get very hot, my body teperature rises and my face gets pink. I know it's no allergic reaction.

I am OCD about cleaning/neatness/clutter/organizing. My house is very tidy and organized. When it's not I feel lost. I'm not too OCD about germs, I try not to worry about tummy bugs if I don't know about them. But if I do know about them then I freak and make my kids wash 1000 times.