Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Sudden realisation - advice please?!

I have a work-related dilemna - in my office, we take it in turns to make a round of coffee for employees within our department - there're about 9 in mine. Until last night, I hadn't realised how terrifying this is - every time I take a sip out of my mug I could be ingesting my colleagues' germs!! They would have touched the handle and the body of the mug, and sometimes the guys carry it over holding the rim!!!!! My colleagues don't know about my emet, so how can I get around this? I can't just refuse to make or drink coffee rounds because I always have done and it would lead to questions - and i just know no-one would understand. Perhaps I could have a secret mug on my desk that I can transfer the coffee into, and use the other mug as the one they all touch?
    Good grief, this has become a nightmare all of a sudden!!!! Am i being irrational?

Default Re: Sudden realisation - advice please?!

If they're putting their fingers near the rim, then I can see why you'd be worrying. That's gotta be a horrible realisation! The alternate mug idea is a good one. Do you think you could get away with doing that and no one noticing?

If the rim has been touched, you could maybe wipe/clean the edge. Maybe this is just me being a bit daft here, but if I were worried about it, I'd have some tissues, alcohol handwash and some water and put a little of the handwash on the tissue, wipe the bit where I'm going to put my mouth and then use water on another tissue to get rid of the excess cleaner (trust me, it tastes gross!). If someone notices, you can just say you got ink on it, or spilt a little bit, etc.

Thanks for the advice I've thought about cleaning it but I'm also aware that water/alcohol handwash aren't necessarily effective against svs so that scares me too! When one of my colleagues was s* last year, I soaked my mug in bleach - bad idea. Ironically, I think I almost poisoned myself!

I may try the mug-swapping, I'm just concerned it could lead to some interesting questions of anyone notices

Has ANYONE ever gotten sick from this?? It sounds like it's been going on for a long time, and you haven't gotten ill. I think that's pretty good evidence that you don't have anything to worry about.
    "I'm not supposed to be like this, but it's okay" -- The Wrong Child, R.E.M.

What if you get two of the same mugs? I know that's odd, but then they look the same so there wouldn't be questions :P
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

The good news is that you seemed to have survived with the current mug work practices so it would seem that this would not be a very effective way for germs to spread.
    Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A free web based treatment for emetophobia

Thanks for the advice, all
    Yes, I have survived so far....but no one in my department had a sv* last year (that I'm aware of), so I'm concerned that if they were to I'd be in trouble...... I think I'll have a secret mug at hand just to be on the safe side
    Or maybe I should spend less time procrastinating....