Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Unhappy Anti-anxiety meds?

Hello. My name is Angela. I'm new to the board / society and I've been emetophobic for as long as I can remember. I have three children, 1 of which started throwing up this morning, which has sent me into a self-destructive downward spiral. I'm bipolar with severe generalized anxiety to begin with; the emetophobia aggravates the condition on a daily basis, but when it flares up due to a "real" threat, I'm almost completely debilitated and non functioning.

My depression / anxiety is treated with Seroquel, Prozac and Buspar. I contacted my PCP (primary care physician) today begging him to do something because I can't get an appointment with my psychiatrist until 11/4/11, which is 8 days away. He has graciously doubled my Buspar dose (admittedly at the risk of upsetting my psychiatrist) and I've begun taking it as such. My question is....will this really help me? Do anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds ACTUALLY work for this phobia?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I'm in turmoil, as only you, reading this, can understand....

Default Re: Anti-anxiety meds?

sounds like you're having a really tough time.....keep good hygiene and i'm sure you'll be just fine.

i take prozac and it totally helps with my emet. keeps me from obsessing about it so much.......but i still have some tough days when people around me are sick so i know how you feel.

hope you feel better soon.......deep breaths
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

hey! uhm, yea anxiety pills have helped me but it depends on which medication would work well with your body. i was on lexapro for awhile, but now i am on sertraline (zoloft) and i have been doing really well with it

hi
    you must be having a really hard time with this. someone close to me is bipolar as well and i have anxiety, but i can't imagine what it would be like to battle with both.
    my anxiety pills are helpful. my mom says she can see a huge difference in me since when i started. i was on zoloft but it gave me an allergic reaction, so i switched to these really bad tasting tablets. :P the only thing i would suggest is that it probably isn't safe to insist on increasing your dosage like you did until your doctor suggests it on their own. i say this because once my doctor increased my dosage and my body couldn't handle it, so the pill that was supposed to help stop my fear of v*ing made me start v*ing. at school and at church.