Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Looking after someone who is ill.

Hi all,

This is my first post and my first time really talking about all this.
    My boyfriend(of 2 years) is incredibly supportive of my condition and he knows all about it.

Anyway, These past two days my boyfriend has been having stomach cramps, diarrhea and of course he has thrown up. This sent me into a huge panic and I wouldn't go near him or see him or kiss him or anything.

So, I decided to take a leap and I've been looking after him ever since and I may get it(which still scares me) but I have been taking a few extra precautions to stop me getting ill.

But this is the first time in 5 years when I've looked after someone who has been sick due to a bug,

Batmansgirl x

Default Re: Looking after someone who is ill.

I know how you feel, I can completely sympathize with you, I have a 5 year old and a 1 year old. My 5 year old has had 3 sv* while being home with me (I share custody with his dad). You just need to wash your hands constantly and encourage him too also. Increase your vitamin and fluid intake to pump up your immune system. And get some high potentcy probiotics for your medicine cabinet. We take them on a daily basis and when stomach issues of any kind arise we take extra! Hope he feels better and you do too!

where are you from batmansgirl? it takes a lot of courage to do that!!!! i hope one day that i can do it... i just left my bfs house sunday cause his niece had been throwing up. :/.

Quote Originally Posted by CMM811 View Post
    I know how you feel, I can completely sympathize with you, I have a 5 year old and a 1 year old. My 5 year old has had 3 sv* while being home with me (I share custody with his dad). You just need to wash your hands constantly and encourage him too also. Increase your vitamin and fluid intake to pump up your immune system. And get some high potentcy probiotics for your medicine cabinet. We take them on a daily basis and when stomach issues of any kind arise we take extra! Hope he feels better and you do too!

I haven't completely ignored him but I have taken extra precautions e.g. using hand sanitizer, drinking out of separate glasses, not kissing him on the lips.

He wasnt s*** while he was at mine thankfully!! But he did complain of stomach ache and I got a bit panicy. Like last night lying in bed I had a stomach twinge and I freaked out.. I was like oh god i'm getting the bug but it was just my brain playing tricks on me. I can now distinguish whether it is genuine stomach ache or its my brain playing tricks on me. I drink i'd say a litre of liquid or more a day and i've got a strong immune system anyway but I have been eating more fruit so I have been boosting it

Quote Originally Posted by dscott View Post
    where are you from batmansgirl? it takes a lot of courage to do that!!!! i hope one day that i can do it... i just left my bfs house sunday cause his niece had been throwing up. :/.
    I'm from Birmingham in the rainy UK

Tell me about it, I freaked out! I didn't know what to do, but I'm a bad decision maker anyway(I usually have to flip a coin to decide stuff) One day you will be able to do it. You just have to think it's all in my head and it is all in your head I promise you. I never used to be able to differentiate between whether I was actually feeling s*** or whether It was just my brain. I'd say 99% of the time it is your brain!

Yea. People Just don't understand how hard it is for us

Good for you, Batmansgirl. My boyfriend is also extremely supportive and I went through this same thing in Sept.

He was sleeping at my apartment and woke up v*ing. I was a mess, but I held it together and rubbed his back and got his water. I was even in the room while he v*ed once. and I didn't get sick!!

Things like this are terrifying to us emets, but can only help us in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by dscott View Post
    Yea. People Just don't understand how hard it is for us
    Actually there is alot of people out there who do understand you just have to find them. ALOT of people say its just me "being silly" "oh your juts not used to being ill" "its not that bad"

But to me it is that bad! It is terriftying and yes maybe im not used to it nor do I want to get used to it!!

Its not the fairest condition but Its a condition none the less. Maybe some of us will never get over it but at least we can learn to control it!

batmansgirl x

Thumbs down Re: Looking after someone who is ill.

Hello!

I had an awful set back last night and this morning. Me and my boyfriend went to a concert last night(A band called The Blackout: They were awesome!) He was okay at the concert except he kept saying his stomach was flipping, but he wasnt s*** or anything so I was fine BUT on the way home we brought chips and literally 10 mins later he brought them back up again. I freaked out I fully paniced!! I didnt know what to do so I went silent and I didnt let him touch me or anything... He got so pissed off at me for it(Which I fully understand now!) After all he looks after me when i'm s*** and I just ignored him and left him too it. :/ so stupid lol! I thought I was getting better!

Then this morning, his dad came and picked us up from my house and I found out he has been s*** and has diarrhea and everything that my boyfriend had had!! I am so scared atm! I really hope i#m not getting ill. Im hardly eating anything in fear im going to get ill and i'm drinking out of my own water bottle.

Damnit!!

Batmansgirl x

you were doing a really good job getting yourself to care for him though. and your boyfriend has absolutely no right to be angry at you for getting upset. he knows you have difficulty with that sort of thing and he should just be grateful that you tried to help at all. and anyway, he shouldnt expect you to have this obligation to care for him when he's sick. yes, that is generally what couples do, but in your situation he should accept that that sometimes won't happen.
    if i were in your shoes i would confine myself to the couch for a few nights to prevent any exposure to him while sleeping, but i feel like if you want to get better at handling emet you should try staying with him.

Hi there!

Little update for you all! My boyfriend is almost back to his usual self. He can eat most food again now, he just has to eat it slowly. I was also thinking if I was going to get s*** wouldn't I of been s*** already?

I feel a little off but that could be anything. I'm coming down with a cold so that's probably why I don't feel in tip top condition! So I'm calming down now slowly. I'm probably not going to be fully calm for a few more days.

I am an awful lot better than I used to be I used to obsessively check sell by dates, cut open all my food to check it was cooked(Which I still do just not to the extent I used too), ask people whether It was cooked right or not, how long its been cooked for.

My boyfriend and his family helped an awful lot with my food habits, I couldn't get away with not eating my food, asking for smaller portions or check my food. It was hard at first but I slowly got used too it and now i'm getting better.

My biggest obstacle is going to be eating out, that's my biggest set back at the moment.

Batmansgirl x
    I know you find it hard to shine,
    When every turn you take is lined,
    With the fear of never making it alive.

The word Hope means a lot to me for many different reasons.

Tumblr blog about my Emet:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It looks like you're making a lot of positive progress. I can't say that I've done as well; not checking sell-by dates and things seems like a really hard thing to do! It's cool that you've been able to start overcoming this!!!