Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default So scared before bed... Please help!

I have been really scared for the past few days, it is really ruining my life. I am really nervous now before bed. I am 17 and to be honest, I have had to sleep with my Mum before because I have been so scared. I just want to be normal. I want to just go to bed like everyone else and fall asleep and just be content. I am so anxious and scared and this wouldn't be the first time I've wanted to commit suicide. I know it seems dramatic but this is really how horrific it has gotten. I have my dance concert on tomorrow and I just want to enjoy it and get a good nights sleep. Any tips?
    Thank You, God Bless and I hope you are having a good day/night.

Default Re: So scared before bed... Please help!

Hey, I'm 17 also, and yes I often have to take anxiety meds right before bed because that is when I am at my worst. i just freak out, and lie there, and freak out even more. Sometimes, I listen to calming songs on my iPod and that helps, other times I watch TV, I usually try deep breathing into my blanket while hanging my head out of the window for fresh air.

i was going to suggest music or tv also.......i pretty much fall asleep every night with the tv on. i guess the background noise keeps my mind sort of occupied.

i've tried to make my bedroom my safe space......i used to hate night time....now i look forward to bed i burn some nice smelling candles for a bit before i go in...usually lavender......a nice hot shower and some really soft comfy pj's.......and some herbal tea....chamomille or ginger.

i try and stay away from the computer a couple hours before bed because it really tends to get my mind churning......don't need that when i'm trying to wind down. maybe a easy reading book would help......

hope you get some rest
    sweet dreams
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks so much for all the tips. I ended up just falling soundly asleep because I was so exhausted from all the anxiety and fear. I will definitely try to make me room a safe place like you have. The candles sound like a really nice idea. Thank you All the best.

i forgot this......sometimes when my mind is racing i start concentrating on my toes......pretending they are falling asleep....then move to my ankles ....then shins, knees, etc......working my way up my body......meditation i suppose but seems to work pretty well keeping my focus....usually fall asleep before i get to my head....lol
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Smile Re: So scared before bed... Please help!

Quote Originally Posted by stopthissong View Post
    I have been really scared for the past few days, it is really ruining my life. I am really nervous now before bed. I am 17 and to be honest, I have had to sleep with my Mum before because I have been so scared. I just want to be normal. I want to just go to bed like everyone else and fall asleep and just be content. I am so anxious and scared and this wouldn't be the first time I've wanted to commit suicide. I know it seems dramatic but this is really how horrific it has gotten. I have my dance concert on tomorrow and I just want to enjoy it and get a good nights sleep. Any tips?
    Thank You, God Bless and I hope you are having a good day/night.
    I sleep with my Mom all the time because I'm scared, too.
    It doesn't seem dramatic at all what you are describing. Maybe to someone who doesn't understand, but to we who have had to suffer through emetophobia and anxiety disorders, it actually makes a lot of sense. Sometimes the fear and everything just gets so bad that you can just wish everything would end, like it would be easier that way.
    I understand if you are nervous about the dance concert. I was having sooo much anxiety over a band concert where I was soloing on the saxophone. My therapist told me to picture the concert over and over and over so when you actually went to perform, you would be used to what was going to happen. And remember, this is something you enjoy and tell yourself that you aren't going to let your phobias ruin it for you.
    Good night and good luck.

Nighttime used to be the worst for me. I found drinking a cup of Chamomile tea about 30 min before bed helped relieve my anxiety wonders. I also listened to hypnosis tracks from Andrew Johnson to help my fall asleep quicker and with less anxiety. If you try him, I'd recommend Deep Sleep as well as Relax. I have about half a dozen of his hypnosis tracks. Joseph Clough also has a hypnosis track you can use for either sleeping or just to get out of a panic attack. His focuses on emetophobia specifically. He does use the word sick, perhaps the word vomit, but I'm usually asleep by that section. It's very relaxing.

You may find these links helpful!

thats so cool! i used to have one of those tapes when i was really little, and it was all "you are riding a turtle down a stream. uh-oh! lift your legs up! the water is splashing everywhere!" and my mom would come in to check on my sister and I and we'd be laying there with our arms or legs in the air or else doing something else weird while we listened. xD
    i've never heard of one focused completely on emetophobia! i would really like to try that...