Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default pain meds after surgery?

Hello!

I'm gonna have hip-replacement surgery in less than a week and I'm worried about pain meds making me feel nauseous or throw up. Has anybody had the same type of surgery and has taken pain meds? The doctor said I'm probably going to want pain meds even if they make me nauseous. Has anybody had any type of surgery and taken hopemopathic remedies or ginger for it? If so did it help? I'm a bit cautious of the homeopathic stuff so I may take ginger. I just don't know if it works.

Thanks for reading and I hope I'll get some replies.

Tiina

Default Re: pain meds after surgery?

i would think the doctor could give you an antiemetic drug to counteract any n from painkillers. when i had my gallbladder out they gave me percocet.....i took 1/2 one after i got home and didn't feel very good from it.....so stuck to advil........but i know alot of people who can take it with no problems so it might have just been my emet working overtime. talk to the dr.....ask him for something.....he should understand.

good luck and let us know how surgery goes........my sister has had both her knees and both her elbows replaced......her recovery time was remarkable.....hope all goes well. ill keep you in my prayers
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I haven't had a big surgery like that, but I had my tonsils out, and have had numerous other oral surgeries that required painkillers. I've never felt nauseated from any of them, if that helps!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may find these links helpful!

Yes, Narcotics can and do make you nauseous...I can't take codeine. But if you need them, then def. ask for an anti-emetic along with them. Always take with food. Good luck with everything. Also, ask for the narcotic that has the least side effects!

Definitely take some kind of antiemetic (be it Gravol or a Rx antiemetic) with narcotic pain meds and always take them with a little bit of food. After my breast implants I was in massive amounts of pain and required 2 Percocet q4h just to take the edge off. I kept a steady dose of Gravol in me at all times and that helped a lot. I'm sure Zofran would have helped more, I had practically no nausea the day of surgery (and the little I did have I think was anxiety nausea) when I was pumped full of IV antiemetics. Good luck next week, I'm sure everything will go just fine!
    Disclaimer: Any nutritional or health related advice I give is well intentioned and intended for general educational purposes only that may or may not apply to your personal health situation. It does NOT in any way, shape or form constitute as medical or dietetic advice. I am not your nutritionist and you are not my patient. Please discuss anything you may learn from any of my health related posts with your doctor and nutritionist prior to making any related changes.

Love me or hate me I am who I am. It isn't going to change. Don't confuse a succinct response or commitment to accuracy as being cavalier or patronizing.

Hello again!

Thanks for your replies. I'm in Finland and don't know the equivalent of Percocet or Gravol but I guess I'll just ask for some anti-emetics. What I'm also worried about is that I I get these panicky-type symptoms and then I have to drink water and/or eat these eucaplyptus candies. I may throw up if/when I can't self-medicate like that so I don't know what I'll do the morning of the surgery when I can't drink or eat anything. =(

But, the surgery has to be done. I've been going around with a broken hip for like 8 months now. They didn't catch it on time and it didn't start healing after my first operation. They waited this long to decide that I need a hip replacement. I just hope I'l finally be able to walk again.

Tiina

Quote Originally Posted by andee View Post
    Yes, Narcotics can and do make you nauseous...I can't take codeine. But if you need them, then def. ask for an anti-emetic along with them. Always take with food. Good luck with everything. Also, ask for the narcotic that has the least side effects!
    I'll agree that they can, but they don't always. I was on narcotics after my tonsils were out and I wasn't nauseated at all. I didn't have anti emetics at the time.

You may find these links helpful!

It is unfortunately quite common for opiates and narcotics to cause nausea/vomiting. I have taken oxycodone before to ease a severe panic attack (not recommended) and unfortunately it did cause me to vomit. Not a pleasant experience to say the least and I felt very disoriented. I am not saying this will be the case with you, as everyone is different, but that is just my own personal experience. It may be helpful to take them with anti emetics like others have suggested if your doctor allows it. I try to avoid taking opiates. It might be a different story when I get my wisdom teeth out, but we shall see!