Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Unhappy On the verge of tears...

My dad came over today to visit, and I had a great time hanging out with him and everything. Thirty minutes before he left, he excused himself to go to the restroom. I noticed he had been in there a long time, so I knocked and asked if he was okay. He said he was having a bit a diarrhea but he was fine. After he came out he told me his stomach was cramping a little bit too, but that he was not nauseous in any way. I was around him all day. All day. He touched me, breathed on me...everything. I don't think we shared utensils for eating or anything...but I'm so, so worried. The dreaded bug has been going around, and he could have easily caught it at his job. I don't know what to do. My stomach has already been feeling upset today...and this is not helping. I'm so scared, and I don't have anyone else to talk to that's not on the internet. Please tell me I'll be ok? Please?

Default Re: On the verge of tears...

Since you didn't share utensils or anything I'm sure you'll be fine. Even if you did you would probably still be fine. You can only get a sv* by v* or fecal particles getting into your system. Just try to relax and remind yourself of this.

I'm really trying here to stay calm here but i still feel like crying...He told me that he ate 3 day old shrimp fried rice and that my be the cause. Could that be it? I think he was just trying to reassure me...

How is he now? That fried rice sounds suspicious. And I don't mean food poisoning - I just think that leftover Chinese isn't very gentle on the stomach. Plus, if he isn't nauseous then I wouldn't be worried....a bit of diarrhea happens to everyone at some point or another.

i totally agree with harold. i'm sure it was just the food..........i get that occasionally and it's not a sv.

i would just clean the bathroom a bit if that makes you feel more comfortable.

i'm sure you are just fine deep breaths
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

He said that he is still a little sick today. I am hoping that it us just the Chinese food. I am dreading these next two days, but I will try to stay calm. If he did have it and didn't make him v*? Would that mean I wouldn't either? Or does it affect everyone differently?

Chinese food gives me diarrhea almost every time I eat it, sometimes severe. Don't know why, greasy I guess. Cramping usually accompanies diarrhea. It really doesn't sound like a stomach bug. While it's entirely possible to only have diarrhea with a bug, generally it still makes you feel like you've been hit by a truck and you will be in and out of the bathroom all day. If you have a bug you feel malaise-y and crappy you know?

Im pretty much a recovered Emet, and thought I would give you my advice. Just today I had a bit of diarhoeah, it was really odd, I didnt feel sick or anything just this bit came out and then I started pooping normally!
    Ive no idea what it was but I had slight tummy cramps with it. It feels ok but a bit like Ive been kicked in the stomach. As far as I know Ive not eaten anything dodgy so I will assume this happens to some people depending on what they eat, Im sure you will be fine and if your dad wasnt looking really ill then it was just something he ate!

Thanks for your help so far guys! I really appreciate it. He was acting fine when he came out of the bathroom that night, and even said he felt better. That does not change the fact he's still a little sick today though, which still is just niggling at me. He didn't look too bad when he left the house yesterday, but I haven't seen him all day today. He could be worse now (I hope he's not though! Poor dad!)

And congrats Beccabubba, on your recovery!

I have to agree.. I know lots of people will get buts of D* and it doesn't necessarily mean a SV*... my husband has IBS and every once in awhile.. he'll get bad D* and feel kinda bad for a day or so. And it's just from that.. no one else ever gets sick from it. Especially if he ate something that caused it... I wouldn't worry too much about this one!

I definitely think if he were going to vomit, he would have already. I would say you are in the clear as long as you have taken the proper precautions even though I do not think it was a stomach virus. The Chinese food could certainly be the culprit there. Hopefully you are able to relax now and I hope you are feeling better!

Just chiming in on this thread with a reminder or alert that you can't catch noroviruses by "breathing" on/near someone and you can't catch it by sharing utensils as it's not transmitted by saliva or through the respiratory system. It's only transmitted through the fecal-oral route. You have to swallow either fecal matter or vomit particles. So it doesn't matter if you were with your dad "all day" because you couldn't possibly catch it until he came out of the bathroom, didn't wash his hands, and touched your hands then you put your fingers in your mouth somehow. What are the odds that happened? So don't worry! Here's a link to the "Norovirus Facts"
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Rice from a lot of chinese restaurants isn't fresh to begin with, so when you eat it as a leftover, it's a leftover leftover if you get what I mean. A lot of these places steam their rice for the week and then just add whatever you're ordering to finish the dish. So I agree that the rice sounds iffy. I personally never eat leftover chinese, but then again I'm paranoid about a lot of food so maybe I'm not the best person to give advice on this. Hope you and your father are well now.

I will be telling my dad to stat clear of old chinesse food from now on, and The norovirus facts definitely helped me calm down a lot. I havent talked to my dad yet but I think he is doing fine. I am okay, feeling a little iffy but I think that is because of the anxiety.

Right now I am having really bad pain on the lower left side of my abdomen, on and off. I was trying to stay calm then boom! pain and freaking out again.

Very much doubt that's anything to do with a bug! I think pain on the lower-left abdomen is pretty common, and could probably be triggered by stress in an IBS-type way xxx

Pain does not indicate stomach flu. If you're female it could be ovulation (that can REALLY hurt), if you're either male or female could be gas (I'm sorry I'm not sure).

I get that at times too. It could be anxiety--the cause of mine usually is--or perhaps it could be just gas. I wouldn't worry about it, so try and not be too concerned!