Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Not coping with stuff at work

It's getting too much.

I work in an office but things are spreading and theres a woman who was due back today from maternity leave but is off with a sv* but we other half was in.

So many people are off sick. I'm not coping but I dot want anytime off work because of this.

I know hygiene is key but I feel like what I'm doIng isn't enough.

And all you hear is 'well so much is going around' and I can't cope with hearing it anymore. Please help- I dont mean to keep posting I'm just so scared.

Default Re: Not coping with stuff at work

I have this problem too, I work in a accounts office so I usually have to go to the other offices and ask for stuff of other people. I try and carry some hand sanitizer with me at all times, I also make sure I drink out of my own glass/mug, eat off my own plate and use my own cutlery. I also try not to lend my stationary to other people as-well!

I get worried sick too when people say "oh, its just something going round" but you just got to chill and think just because someone else has got it doesn't mean I'm going to get it
    I know you find it hard to shine,
    When every turn you take is lined,
    With the fear of never making it alive.

The word Hope means a lot to me for many different reasons.

Tumblr blog about my Emet:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks for all you tips - I do similar things but never feel like its enough. I know people just say it just feel like it will get me this year xx

The only thing you can really do is to practice good hygiene and keep your body and mind healthy. Unfortunately, you cannot always avoid catching a stomach virus. However, you can avoid the anxiety that goes along with it! It takes time and lots of patience, but it's totally doable. I do hope you stay healthy this season! Best of luck!

Hygiene and overall health will keep you from getting a sv* or fighting it off really good, decrease stress increase immunity boosters and always wash your hands! You can very well "catch" a sv* but a healthy immune system
    May fight it without any symptoms or very mild ones! I know it sucks and makes anxiety high but I just try to tell myself this and know I can get through it!

Correct me if I'm wrong.... but unless they are actually sick at work.. your chances of catching it are not very likely as long as you are washing your hands and not touching your face.. because after they are sick the only way it is spread is through stool.. so they would have to use the restroom and not wash their hands and place their hands on surfaces that you touch. You have to ingest it to catch it. So it is avoidable. I have always avoided it when it goes around my office. I wash my hands a lot and use my sanitizer.. and stick to my desk for the most part when I hear someone around me has been sick. And I avoid the restroom as much as possible.. But from what I've learned.. isn't this a little silly? Because you can't catch it from just being in the same room with them. This is just from my understanding and what I have learned here.

No I agree it's not as likely unless they actually v* at work, but it still worried me with the whole stool thing.I don't necessarly agree with it being silly, I just find things like this hard to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by thelittlestranger View Post
    No I agree it's not as likely unless they actually v* at work, but it still worried me with the whole stool thing.I don't necessarly agree with it being silly, I just find things like this hard to deal with.

trust me.. it puts a little fear in me when I hear it at work.. but I do think as long as you are washing your hands and using proper hygiene you can prevent it. Maybe do some things to boost your immune system.. some extra vitamin C and D. Try to eat healthy and get plenty of sleep at night.

So far in 3 years my husband and I haven't even caught it from my stepsons.. and they've had it many times. And I think it's my obsessive compulsvie attitude toward hygiene! lol That's even in our house. Don't get me wrong.. I definitely freak out and it takes me time to get over it when it goes through our house. But somehow we've always managed to be safe so far. So I figure if I can do it at home.. I can do it at work!

I posted last week... My fiancee was in the restroom at work when someone came in and was v* in the stall right beside him. Today is the 72 hour mark and knock on wood he is past the catching it stage. He purelled his hands and face and sprayed lysol all over himself. He had to stay at work for another 5 1/2 hours AFTER that incident. SO I totally believe as long as you use you own things and wash your hands after touching paperwork that other people have touched you will be fine. I have had to work with people that came in to work with it. They said it was no big deal and stay all day. I was the one that followed them into the restoom and sprayed the lysol everytime they walked around... I totally trust that you will be OK... You are an emet and there is no one out there that knows how to stay clean and be clean like us!

Thanks so much guys... I've tried really hard with my hygiene and the girl who first potentially brought the virus in was sick a week ago tomorrow so fingers crossed. xxx

Yeah, I'm sure you'll be fine! I work in a huge office... with over 250 employees.. and I have almost never seen anyone get sick with an SV from another employee. I'm sure it might happen.. but I haven't seen it. I hear so and so say they were sick.. but no one else ever catches it. They usually catch it from another source like kids or grandkids...