Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default I'm New Here - What a great community - I know there IS life after Emetophobia

Hi everyone! I'm a 27 yr old female and my hubby and I are trying again this month for our first child together. I've had emetophobia since I was 10. Last time I got sick I was 20 and before that I was 8. So in 19 years I've only been sick 2x. I think it's pretty funny how much time we spend worrying about something that hardly ever happens. I've come to realize that I will never have this thing under control unless I let God have all the control. God is so good to me and honestly He has healed me from so much emotionally and mentally that I don't even think about it really anymore when it comes time to eat because I am a realist and the chances of it happening are very low. Recently I was feeling a bit anxious at the thought of getting pregnant and the chance of morning sickness but you know what reading some of the posts on here from other women that have gone through it and endured I am more than confident that I can do ALL things through Christ Jesus who strengthens me (Phil 4:13). Please keep me in your prayers as I enter into this new season of life and if anyone needs advice or prayer I am here for you as well. Thank you!

Default Re: I'm New Here - What a great community - I know there IS life after Emetophobia

1 Corinthians 10:13
    New King James Version (NKJV)
    13 No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it.

I love this verse because when we think of "temptations" we may think of things that cause us to sin but this said "temptation" could be the temptation to get into worry and fear and anxiety. But God is so faithful He will not allow us to be "tempted" beyond what we can bear and with it he will make the way of escape. This has ALWAYS proven true in my life and it can be so for you as well.

Default Re: I'm New Here - What a great community - I know there IS life after Emetophobia

Love this! Thanks and great for you!

Glad to see that I'm not the only one who trusts in God!

Hello-- I read your original post and I feel like I am in the exact same place. I'm 26, and I've been emetophobic since pretty much as long as I can remember. I was sick a couple years ago, but before that it was 12 years. During those 12 years I got pretty relaxed and thought I was pretty much invincible, haha, but a couple years ago when it happened again it really upset me. I started getting panic attacks and nausea all the time, so I went to a therapist to see if I could get my anxiety under control... my anxiety is much better, but the underlying emetophobia is still there.

I HATE feeling like I have no control over something related to my body. I have a difficult time accepting that God is God and I don't really have any control at all, I just think I do sometimes! ...I am seeing a new therapist now and she asked me to visualize what my life will be like when I am free of this phobia. I have a hard time imagining it, partially because I'm not sure I'm ready to completely admit that I don't have any control. Somehow I figure that if I let go of the fear, then I will be sick all of time! I know how irrational some of my thinking is sometimes, so I guess if I'm aware of that, it's a good start...

Sorry for my ramblings, but I guess I just am happy to hear of someone who has the same fears as I have-- and who is trusting God through it all. I want to be free of this someday (and soon!) so I can move on with my life and enjoy the idea of pregnancy and motherhood without dreading certain parts. I will say a prayer for you and I would appreciate some prayer too! If you want, feel free to send me a message!