Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Can emetophobia develop into an eating disorder?

I only eat once a day now because of this, since I go to school for most of the day (Im 15 btw). In the past, I'vr vomited a lot in school, so I'm a bit insecure about it (and that's why I dont eat) I feel like I have an eating disorder even if I really dont care about my weight, but in the sense that I starve myself just because I'm scared of the outcome. Has anyone else felt this way? If so, how did you overcome it? Also, I'm going to a birthday party soon (tomorrow) and I don't know what to do (food). Also, does this have to do anything with OCD, since you're obsessing over the food in your life and trying to avoid it as wel.

Default Re: Can emetophobia develop into an eating disorder?

Yes, entirely. I used to weigh 145, but i dropped weight and 2 years later I now weigh 109. My doctors used to tell me Im close to being overweight, now they yell at me and call me anorexic lol. Anyways, I do it all the time; I have a menu in my head of all my safe foods at the restaurants my friends bring me too. Bad habit, dont do it !`

Not an eating disorder per se, but it can certainly lead to malnutrition and inadequate absorption of nutrients. Yes, this can lead to weight loss, but it can also cause weight gain because the body will go into survival mode to store any nutrients it does receive. I would definitely talk to your doctor about it because it will inevitably cause further health issues in the future if the matter is left unaddressed and untreated. I know I suffer from malnutrition from time to time and because of it, my immune system is weaker and my concentration levels have plummeted. Try to nip it in the bud before it becomes too problematic. Good luck to you!!
    Last edited by DeadxxInside92; 11-07-2011 at 11:22 PM. Reason: grammatical errors

Yes, absolutely. My diet is very restricted because of emetophobia, as is the times when I allow myself to eat. For example, I will not allow myself to eat if I have somewhere to go or if someone will be visiting. I'll wait until after the fact, when I'm all alone, home, which is my "safe" place. Otherwise, I'm afraid it might make me sick and although I'm just as terrified of throwing up alone, it's a gazillion times worse if it happens in front of someone. If that isn't disordered eating, I don't know what is.

Yes it can although i wouldnt call it an eating disorder as i dont really care about my weight but my diet is extremely limited. I have eaten the same foods every day for years, what i do eat is very healthy but in very small portions and i only eat out at safe restaurants that i have visited for years, i never meat, rice, salads or fruit out and im also wary of anything uncooked thats prepared by hand. On an everyday basis i will not eat food that hasnt been prepared by either myself or my mum. I wont even eat that lovely fresh crusty bread from the bakers as the staff handle it will bare hands and take money too. Sad isnt it.

Yes! I was 11 when my emet kicked in and 12 when the anorexia stepped in. I hate to see you suffering so young, it breaks my heart! Because of emet I have had an eating disorder for 11 years now. Is there any way you can share this stuff with your parents or an adult you trust? I wish that I could have had counseling for this years ago and I think it might be helpful to you as well. Good luck!

I stopped eating because of it too and ended up in hospital when I was 12 being force fed for 2 years! It's not AS bad when it comes to food now. And I know the birthday party you were going to has been and gone now... I hope it went well. But for future reference, try telling your friends or maybe at least one of them about emet? I was really embarrassed at first coz I thought I was weird (didnt realise how common it is) but after i'd told one friend it was a lot easier when we all went out places because she knew and supported me and eventually i told more of my friends and no-one thinks im weird!

So these close friends of mine that know, aren't offended when I go to their houses and don't want to eat any of their food thats been cooked for me or anything, I think if they didnt know about my emet they might be.

And when it comes to eating out if I REALLY have to, I eat vegetarian (even though im not a veggie) and very 'simple' food

I think it is kind of like an eating disorder. We tend to think of an ED as something someone only has who wants to lose weight, but I think that's too specific. A person who doesn't want to be "fat" will starve themselves, restrict what they eat, etc. An emet, who doesn't want to vomit, will starve themselves, restrict what they eat, etc. Both people are doing the same thing, just for different reasons.

My emet has been bad enough at points I would consider it an ED. I'm still starving myself in order to feel in control, just it's not a number on the scale I want to control.
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

“We are the girls with anxiety disorders, filled appointment books, five-year plans. We take ourselves very, very seriously. We are the peacemakers, the do-gooders, the givers, the savers. We are on time, overly prepared, well read, and witty, intellectually curious, always moving. We pride ourselves on getting as little sleep as possible and thrive on self-deprivation. We drink coffee, a lot of it. We are on birth control, Prozac, and multivitamins. We are relentless, judgmental with ourselves, and forgiving to others. We never want to be as passive-aggressive as our mothers, never want to marry men as uninspired as our fathers. We are the daughters of the feminists who said, “You can be anything,” and we heard, “You have to be everything.”

I myself consider it an eating disorder, just an EDNOS.
    I am a prime example of this because of emetophobia. Because I got scared, and stopped eating. I still do it if I know I'm going out. When it first started, I weighed 129 pounds, the perfect weight for my size. But alas within a few short months, I went down to 98 pounds.
    I guess because of it, I have messed up my stomach and can no longer digest food even when I want to eat. A hungry stomach feels safe, right..
    Just don't go to the extremes I did. I starved all day long. I wasn't even drinking liquids. I can't give you any advice as how to stop because I still have to figure that out myself, what I can tell you is even though its scary, when you're really really hungry, just take one bite of a snack. Maybe a bar or something, so you know that your stomach won't be completely empty. And if you do happen to get sick, it won't be a lot because that'd be the only thing you ate. And drink water.
    I think the only way to overcome it is to fight the fear, eat when you're out, force yourself to be okay. If you do want to overcome it thats what I'd do, and it wouldn't be anything like a meal, just something as simple as an orange.