Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default For those of you taking Zofran

Hey!
    I just thought it may be helpful for those of you taking Zofran to know that it really is not effective in preventing nausea unless you take it BEFORE the nausea gets intense. That is a mistake most people make because they try to wait and take it until they absolutely feel they have to. However, that actually decreases it's chances of effectiveness according to doctors I have spoken to. It is why it is administered before chemotherapy and before surgical operations. It prevents nausea, not necessarily stops it in its tracks. Just make sure not to become to reliant on the medication, or any medication for that matter! I just thought some of you may find that little tidbit of information interesting and hopefully useful!

Default Re: For those of you taking Zofran

I don't know anything about Zofran except they prescribe it mainly for pregnancy nausea but I know phengran stops my moms nausea right in her tracks. She has had multiple surgeries and would get randomly nasuseated and would take that and bam it would stop the nause and usually let her nap!

In my opinion, taking something as strong as Zofran for anxiety-related nausea is overkill. Regular over-the-counter antinausea meds work fine if you MUST take a pill but honestly, most anxiety-related nausea very rarely leads to vomiting. Popping a mint or a ginger candy is usually more than enough.

I could be wrong though.

I do agree with all of the above. Zofran can be quite expensive if not covered by insurance. I take ginger supplements on a daily basis and that always helps to keep my anxiety induced nausea at bay, as well as aiding in healthy digestion.

I don't take zofran for anxiety induced nausea. I just use it for my morning sickness. I mean.. with allI'm going through righ tnow.. I might take it if I start to feel too bad. But I fight it with peppermints and I have some preggie pop drops that I bought and thsoe are good to help it subside. When I take zofran it usually stops it in it's tracks too. Phenergan makes me so sleepy.

I have promethazine(sp?) but haven't had to take any since I got it in Jan. Just having it on me is comforting but I would much rather eat some ginger snaps or sip some sprite. I didn't realize how bad some people have it. I don't take an anti-anxiety meds only because I don't have insurance but there are so many people on here that are constantly popping pills to make them feel better. It makes me sad.
    "We have to learn to be our own best friends because we fall too easily into the trap of being our own worst enemies."

It makes me sad as well. My doctor stopped prescribing me Zofran, but with good reason. It did really suck at first, but now I have been managing my phobia on my own with the help of Zoloft. However, I did need that because I cannot manage my depression on my own.